Suzuki Forums banner

Which car(s) did you nearly buy instead ?

5K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  chazzababy 
#1 ·
Which car did you nearly buy before you made your final decision, and bought an Ignis?
I have had a soft spot for the (original and best) Mini for a long time. I learned of dealers who sell cars that are in Mint condition, some restored so well that they are actually in better condition than when they left the factory. I was close to buying one of the last Coopers, in mint condition, with very low mileage. But was convinced by the missus to buy a new, supposedly more reliable car.
So I decided on a "hot hatch", and nearly bought a C2 GT, but then I stumbled upon the Ignis Sport. The C2 was £10,500, and the Ignis list price was £9,999. But my local dealer was selling them, special offer £7,499. Not pre-registered or delivery miles, but brand new £7,499. So the Ignis was £3,000 cheaper, higher spec, and higher performance. SOLD! And six-months later, I have absolutely no regrets, it is a cracking car.

#2 ·
I was planing on getting a second hand wrx or skyline or a 180sx
but the insurance is really expensive between 4-5 grand ( compared to 1 grand for the ignis sport ) a year, plus a few of my friends had 180sx's but they would always have problems with them , they are a good car but very tempremental and high maitence.
so i thought of getting a new car, 1 of my mates had bought a honda jazz, so i was pretty keen on getting 1 , i planed to do it up.
The honda was ok but a little expensive 27 grand driveaway and i figured i would have to spend 8 or more doing it up.
When i saw the ignis sport i was like wow, the shiming red paint and the white wheels really set it off, the interior was sweet, recaros ,leather steering wheel, the seating postion was great, perfect view of the road and gauges.
so i got 1
Its a great car over the months i found out better stuff with it , like the enki rims, advan tyres , short shift kit.
And cornering at high speeds so easy, the handling is so good , better than most cars, plus the breaks are great, they stop so fast without skiding or spining.
I know i made the right choice, plus it can knock off most cars i battle with, civics, lancers, excels & accents, plus v6 utes and some magnas, and of course the honda jazz.

#3 ·
i was going to by a R32 skyline GTR

but the insurance quate was £5000 english money
because my girlfreinds points havent come off her lisence yet but next year they will so am getting 1 then

as for my ignis its getting a bit of a racing job done to it

am fitting some Suzuki Sport parts here is the list

Straight Muffler"TYPE St-R"
Front Pipe "TYPE Sp-X"

POWER FILTER

Carbon Look Plug Cover

Up-graded Cluch i havent decided wich 1 yet

Light Weight Fly Wheel

Front L.S.D(Limited Slip Differential) Multi plate1.5WAY

Hight Adjustable Suspension Set

Length Adjustable Lateral Rod

Performance Member

Rear Performance Bar

Rear Diagonal Bar Set

Strut Tower Bar

Brake Pad Type RX

i havent decided what to do about the engine tho

either am going to fit a turbo or slap a hyabusa engine in and make the car rear wheel drive

am also lokking for the rally bodykit if any 1 knows where i can get 1

#5 ·
VDJHUI, is that your red Ignis Sport in your signature? If it is, then that looks very nice! :D

#6 ·
Thanks :D yeah , thats my little iggy, I havent done a great deal to it yet just personalised plates and a few autosalon stickers, I painted the brake calipers red , and put a new exhaust system on it. I wash it with megurires gold class shampoo and use mothers wax and instant detailer. It makes it shine so good, people think its a show car , I just laugh and tell them it's stock. :D

#8 ·
i know that its going to cost alot

but i want somthing abit diffrent
and am not botherd about resale value as i plan to keep the car for track and drag use

and the GTR will be my evry day car

#9 ·
I Haven't got an Ignis yet but it's certanly winning. I've got a short list of cars i'm lloking at and It's beaten all the other cars I've looked at for price/ equipment / spec and how I was actullay treated at the showrooms. So far it's beaten:
Ford Fiestia, Vaxhall Corsa, MG ZR 105, Toyota Yaris T3, and the Honda Jazz. Only got to be better than the SEAT Ibiza and I'm sold.

#10 ·
I had Vectra SRi 2.0, then a Wagon R+ that I wrote off hitting a bollard!

I bought a Liana, practicality won over sense there and was about to trade it in for a second hand Jimny until I walked into the showroom and saw (my) yellow ignis sport, not new but only 7k miles.

After test driving it there was no way I was going to buy a Jimny.

I really don't think there is anything to compare Aldodo, I've driven over 10k miles so far.

#11 ·
I got the Ignis for the missus, and the kids! (honest!)

We looked at a number of small hot hatches

- Peugeot 206 HdI - Slow, smelly, lots of bad vibes, and £5k for a 1999 model
- Peugeot 206 Gti - Yeah right £14k for a new one - err, no
- Toyota Yaris 1.5vvti - Expensive, still not all that fast for the money
- Vitara - turned off by salesmen
- Grand Vitara - Too expensive on fuel, and try not to go off the road anyway
- Jimny - not a patch on the Vitara for looks, performance wasn't up to much
- 2nd Hand Ignis, but got completely bemused by the nonsense that salesmen were coming out with about pre-registrered and ex-demo models
- Renault 5 1.4 - Rolled all over the place round a roundabout, and was probably quicker walking.
- Honda Civic - only the sporty ones are worth bothering with, and they're £11k+

So, recognising that the residuals are not up to much, and that I'd like to keep it for as long as I could, as well as the fact that I'd end up driving it myself (the other car is a 2002 Audi A4 TDi Sport), went for a brand new, Black Iggy Sport. £7328 on the road (£6995 + paint + road tax) from a dealer about 30 miles away

It's a bit of a risk if you want to make money out of a car, or have to sell it quickly, but if you actually look around, £ for £ there is nothing that comes near.

Bad points :(
- Not as good as the Audi on fuel - only 30 odd to the gallon flat out around town (might actually be quite good really!!!)
- Some things are a bit cheap - the net cover in the boot, spare tyre
- Steering wheel not adjustable
- Residuals
- Bit noisy at motorway speeds
- Not many mods available

Good points :p
- Fantastic performance
- Loads of fun (its a rally car!)
- ABS
- Surpising space
- Easily maintained - engine parts accessible
- Air Con
- MP3 Player
- Airbags
- I actually think they look great
- Recaros
- Insurance is good

£7k is still a lot of money, but in car terms, it's nothing, especially when you look at the rubbish that you could end up with for the same - hope this helps anyone in doubt - go for it!

Jonnyboy

#14 ·
Just to add to Jonnyboy's comments,
I too had to get a sensible car this time, to please the wife and kids. But there is no need to be boring. The Suzuki Ignis 4-grip is great for the family, and great for me. it handles like Maradonna(before he got fat), it's got plenty of va va voom, and gets me up all these steep Yorkshire hills in the snow, when others are slipping all over the road. the fuel economy's ok, and the spec you get with a new car is spot on!
buy one now! do it!
Rigoose

#15 ·
Originally posted by PatriotUK@Oct 1 2004, 06:30 PM
Which car did you nearly buy before you made your final decision, and bought an Ignis?
I have had a soft spot for the (original and best) Mini for a long time. I learned of dealers who sell cars that are in Mint condition, some restored so well that they are actually in better condition than when they left the factory. I was close to buying one of the last Coopers, in mint condition, with very low mileage. But was convinced by the missus to buy a new, supposedly more reliable car.
So I decided on a "hot hatch", and nearly bought a C2 GT, but then I stumbled upon the Ignis Sport. The C2 was £10,500, and the Ignis list price was £9,999. But my local dealer was selling them, special offer £7,499. Not pre-registered or delivery miles, but brand new £7,499. So the Ignis was £3,000 cheaper, higher spec, and higher performance. SOLD! And six-months later, I have absolutely no regrets, it is a cracking car.
i was originally looking at a seat leon cupra tdi but at £14k it was a little unreachable so after studying the market and reading every "what car?" mag for nearly a yr i finally had my short list of underdog cars c2 gt, yrv130 turbo, sirion rally4 and the ignis sport. the ignis came in the cheapest but i still shopped around for the best deal, then went to my local dealer for a price match. he was nearly in tears when i produced a print out with the best deal. he told me there was no way they could match it as they would loose £500!! well chuffed :D

G
#16 ·
Almost bought a 106 GTI which, whilst faster, was much more expensive and way higher on mileage.
I have got some lighter (16")wheels from a mate in the trade and also freed-up a few horsepower with an induction kit.
It is a nippy little bugger.

G
#17 ·
Originally posted by PatriotUK@Oct 1 2004, 02:30 PM
We were going to get two Mini Coopers, but as the Ignis was available for just £5,900, barely run-in, we just got the Cooper S Works and then last week, the Suzuki.

#19 ·
Hi! I 'm buying a Suzuki Ignis 4x4 1.3 VVTi this week !! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I saw Toyota Yaris, VW Polo, Opel Corsa, Peugeot 206, and Citroen C2 VTR, and drove most of those, but...
none would offer style, fun and high technical standards at the same time! I was quite close to buying a Corsa, but then I thought 4x4 would be useful in sandy beaches, snow, etc. in Greece.
Yaris would cost 12,700, VW Polo 14,500, Opel Corsa 13,900, Peugeot about 13,000, and Citroen 13,000. Instead I 'm buying the Ignis for 14,400 but I think I'm getting a better price for it.

#20 ·
I was determind to buy a SUzuki Jimny but then after looking round them in the forecourt and walking into the dealers I seen it! My little beauti of an ignis 52 plate silky silver only 14000 on the clock! When the salesman told me it was only 3495 I nearly dropped the Jimnys id been lookin at were about 3grand dearer and older models. It handles gr8 & its fab on fuel comp insurance is so cheap & the tax is only 55 quid for 6 mnths.

Much better than the little fiesta & the cash cow of a punto I had!

Nxt car the 5dr 4grip version.x :460:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.