Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry moderators. I didn't title that last post right. What I'm needing to know is which yr model bell housing will interchange w my 98 chevy tracker. 1.6/auto? I found one in a salvage yard that's in a 92 model and wonder if it will fit?
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Same number of doors?

Info:
For auto trans, in the US market, 2 doors have 3 speed and 4 doors have 4 speeds.

As long as the transmission is the same... and the engine is the same (a G16) .... It should work.

I haven't compared 3 speed to 4 speed bell housings... could work... most likely not. Just do not know.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike yes mine is a two door. The donor tracker is only a 8valve auto. I think the transmission changed on the 96-98 model. I've got a welder that says he can weld the piece back but I'd rather have one that's not broken. It broke by the starter.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
... I think the transmission changed on the 96-98 model. ...
Check here for the actual part numbers.
http://catalog.mdetali.ru/suzuki

Granted just because the part number changed, doesn't mean the the part changed... or changed enough to make a difference. But if they are the same, you know the part did NOT change.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike if I looked right its showing the same number for 89-98. I took a pic of my 98 and one from a 95 model and there are some differences. If I could post pics I would but I think I'll chance it. I can get one pic to load but not two. Ill post in two separate post. Here's my 98 housing (broken on the left by the starter)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Does seem to be a difference, in the lower left (as installed) -- there is an extra "ear" with a hole.

I am not sure why or if it makes a difference in your application.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Sadly, I have found that the Russian catalogue is not great for US based cars, and is difficult to differentiate between years, generations, etc. I don't see yet where you have confirmed exactly what tranny is in your car. The 8v will have the 3 speed tranny. What do you have, and we can look it up in the EPC.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Part is called torque converter housing assembly and it is the same for all years: 22820-61A01

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah that's what I seen when I looked it up. I was just baffled why mine looks different from the one on the 95 model. So do you think I'd be safe buying the housing off of the 92 model Bex?

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
What car is the 95 housing from? The 2wd/4wd 2 door 8v models have the same bellhousing for all years, as far as the catalogue indicates, and the 2wd/4wd 16v models have a different bellhousing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im not sure if it had a 8 or 16v engine,but is from a 2dr 2wd. So your saying the 8v eng had a different housing from a 16v eng?
It might be better to just get my piece that's broken off welded back on. I have a welder in town that says he can weld it but I'd rather have one that's not even broken.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
My welding is sh*t, so I can't be a judge as to whether a welder would be successful here - you may want to ask Aqua, who is a pro on this subject. In any event, fortunately for me, I've never had to deal with this problem, so can only advise what the EPC says about part numbers. The Geo Tracker did come in a 2 door 16v engine (hardtop), so I'm assuming that this is the difference. You would need to know if the 95 is a convertible or hardtop.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Uuuggghh!! Lol. Ill never know if it was a hardtop or not. It's at a salvage yard sitting amongst a hundred other trannys. Let me make sure I understand you correctly. The 8v vs 16v engine uses a different bell housing?

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Yes. 16v and 8v would be different. The 8v (3 speed) would be 22820-61A01 for all years. The 16v (3 speed) would be 24711-57B11.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
The EPC shows diagrams of both. Will try to copy and crop them to show you the difference, and post the diagrams

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Here is the 16v bellhousing:

Here is the 8v bellhousing:

You can see that the shape is entirely different.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.