Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have just bought this 94 Sammy and it is in great condition. All original with ac and everything. I am torn between keeping it stock or going all in. I have built quite a few jeep cjs and love to go offroad but this thing gets 30mpg freeway right now and it is going to be my daily driver.
My question is. I want to lift it but not extreme. I want to retain the on road driveability but would like around a 30-31" tire. I know I will lose some mpg but that's ok. Also want to make sure the transfer case remains reliable and the axles. I want my cake and want to eat it. And maybe a glass of milk. So suggestions as to where to start. Btw the tires are brand new so kinda want to wear them out.
I commute 63 miles one way to Reno each day for the next 3 months. Then academy starts and I will live at academy. So keep the driveability in mind. I am able now to drive 70mph with little issues maintaining speed. I had a Cj5 with Spoa and loved it and it actually drove ok with 35" tires but got 8mpg. It had wrangler springs with a shackle reversal. Just don't know if I want to go that high on this thing and don't know how it will ride on the freeway.
Btw money is always an issue. Have to be able to put this by the accountant first and she is tight with those purse strings.
So what first? Lift, transfer case regear, axle upgrades etc. I don't know the weak points of the Sammy yet. Like the old cjs amc 20 needed to be upgraded to one piece axles. Sorry for the long post just want to make sure I get all my info out there.
Also I have read all the different forums about lifts and do not want a shackle lift. I am leaning towards wrangler spua as it seems to be most reliable on road. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Let's see...

Good gas mileage, runs good as is, you want an every day drive at this time putting 130 miles per day. Personally if the inside is in real good condition and there are no mechanical issues at this time why not keep her as is and put the money in the bank for now until you truly figure out what you want to to. Give it a few months until you go to the academy then fix what you find needs to be fixed and take it from there.

As you know putting on the larger size tires will not only lower your great gas mileage, but it will also cut back on top end speed on the highway, which if you are going to be using this as an every day driver should be a real concern for you.

Good luck on your venture and keep us updated on your progress.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. This Sammy is in great shape inside and out. Little leak from transmission and minor from oil pan gasket. But driving it just now it started to hesitate and idle weird. Well I have read about the fuel pressure regulator and I pulled the vacuum line and fuel came out. So that's $120. Does anyone have any alternative pressure regulators or know of a place to get them cheaper.
So about the lift. I am going to wait on it until I wear out the new tires which will be a while. But what I am planning on doing is buying the kit in pieces as I can afford it. I met a guy in autozone this morning with a lifted wrangler. Asked him if he had his stock springs and he said he thinks so and there mine if I want them. So looks like wrangler spua for now. Then maybe spoa later. Who sells the best kit for the wrangler spring conversion.
RRO looks nice but I have heard bad things about customer service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bare with me on this but this is the first time I've ever done this forum thing and wow, enjoyin to see other people askin the same questions as I have and answering them!!! Definitely dont change your sammy if you are drivin that far to work.. I have owned mine since I bought it brand new back in 1987.. My poor girl has not seen the road in ten years,, it has spent its life in a garage waiting for me to have the time to get her road worthy again and she is part of my haunted yard and house decorations for halloween. That samarai was am awesome vehicle for me to drive to the city(chicago) from the wisconsin/illinois border for the 18 years i did it and it even got to go to florida(w/trailor) 4 times.. (loved those semi's to drive behind for their draft) lol But its a rough ride and bigger tires I can only imagine how much worse it would make it!!! I am on here because I too have all your same questions that I want to do to mine now but mine is going to be a grocery getter for the wife and for us to take on small road trips with the top down and enjoy these roads. You mentioned the jeep leaf springs and how cool that you found them that quickly just talkin about it at autozone.. That is kind of my question was that i heard you need to get 1976 and newer cj springs for it to work.. Im also reading that you take a couple out and add to yours. Does anyone know if that gives you a better ride??? I want to lift like you do,,, 4-5 inches maybe and was thinkin spoa with the jeep spring addition idea.. do you have any leads on that idea if it is a better ride or maybe someone can help this guy out .. im plannin on this to be a few years of a project.. I want it to be safe is the main thing because I wouldnt mind lettin mykid who is only 12 now be able to take his girl out to the drive in one night on me... Any help would be great and awesome to hear another jeep lover enjoyin these sammies!!! ive had jeeps my whole life but got hooked on the samarai because it was different.. still love it!!! thanks in advance and lookin forward to the future of one of my fave vehicles!! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts