Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Vitara friends!

So I've been having trouble with my 02 Reg Grand Vitara since the day I got it. It drives very well for a 15+ year old car and has a lot of new parts fitted (and had only one owner previous) you get issues with all older cars though. It's been revving in idle and was running rich when starting up, at one point it simply refused to start properly, only maintaining revs and powering the engine when the accelerator was pushed. We replaced an 02 sensor and it seemed to have improved but still running idle.

Its been about a month since the new lambda sensor went in and, despite the revs on idle when starting, it ran pretty well. Then, all of a sudden, 15 miles from home, it cut out on me again. Called out the RAC and again managed to get it home by continually revving the engine and starting it up again at the traffic light when it stalled. The minute I get home and show my partner somehow its now holding the revs.

Have bought a new Crankshaft sensor as that is the circuit identified by the computer but we can't figure out where it goes and I'd really rather avoid the garage as it should be reasonably simple to put in ourselves... RAC man couldn't find it and neither can we! Any advice or pointers?

Car is a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 2002 Reg

Thank you in advance :)

·
Super Moderator
19,040 Posts
CAM or CRANK sensor?
From the top FAQ thread ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Defo crank! That's the alert the computer is giving, could be an issue with the circuit not the sensor, but Id like to change it out and see if there is any change! Still no joy finding it though...

·
Super Moderator
19,040 Posts
See this one then...

·
Super Moderator
19,040 Posts
Buried between the engine and trans. Only the connector and harness are accessable without major effort.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,101 Posts
This sensor rarely gives trouble, find someone with a scope and record the signal, look for drops and noise..

If the sensor checks clear, perform voltage drop tests on the circuit, particularly the ground...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The RAC guy said he was getting a reading of some kind so it's possible it's not the sensor but something else (if the engine is getting any reading at all) could be a faulty wire or ground then? Ill do a voltage drop test and call someone with more car electrical knowledge than myself... Hoping not a faulty sensor then for my bank accounts sake!

Thanks so much :)

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
The RAC bloke is full of BS, unless he had a scope in his truck, cannot check this sensor with a scanner or meter..

Besides how could he test if he did not know where it is situated.. Crystal ball !

·
Super Moderator
19,040 Posts
IF so inclined...just grab the SQ Series Service Manual, Vol 2 from the FAQ thread and see page 6-74:

ENGINE DIAGNOSIS (G16/J20 ENGINES)
TROUBLESHOOTING (DTC P0335)

"How to conduct a CKP Sensor and Its Circuit Resistance Check:"

;)

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
IF so inclined...grab the SQ Series Service Manual, Vol 2 from the FAQ thread and see page 6-74:

ENGINE DIAGNOSIS (G16/J20 ENGINES)
TROUBLESHOOTING (DTC P0335)

"How to conduct a CKP Sensor and Its Circuit Resistance Check:"

;)
Unfortunately, resistance checks do not verify the signal, just the resistance,,

I have encounters sensors (CAM, Crank, wheel..) that fall withing spec (resistance) but continue to fail in the circuit (dropouts), That accounts for many call backs and returns to mechanics that rely on hope and a prayer...

Eventually these mechanic resort to calling in a diagnostician to bail them out...

Reactions: skills4lou

·
Super Moderator
19,040 Posts
Unfortunately, resistance checks do not verify the signal, just the resistance,,

I have encounters sensors (CAM, Crank, wheel..) that fall withing spec (resistance) but continue to fail in the circuit (dropouts),
Like the Spark Plug test? We debunked that. ;)

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
I have a cam sensor here that measures fine for resistance , but produces a signal barely above background noise. This is more common than you think, especially on bike ignition systems

Reactions: DL1

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Like the Spark Plug test? We debunked that. ;)
What spark plug test did you debunk, seems if it does not meet you inspection and definition all is lost..

Wonder how many times your magic wand has saved the day... Just leave me alone with my advanced test methods..

·
Registered
11,101 Posts

When you are trying to set up a scope to measure secondary ignition waveforms, the goal is to capture the ignition event from when power is applied to the coil to the point where the coil oscillates with the remaining energy. This can happen in 6-10 milliseconds.

Of course if you do not understand the waveform or are not trained in the use of advanced test equipment you would not know the difference between a good/bad/will do signal..

The same goes for other sensors and triggers..

·
Registered
11,101 Posts

Try analyze this with a MM or a guess.. This is a crank and CAM signal wave form

·
Super Moderator
19,040 Posts
You may be confusing the problem, Cam vs Crank sensor. Ignition isn't the issue here. The problem is with the crank sensor which supports the ECU with the needed coding parameters, not ignition / drivability impact. :) More of a nuisance code, really.

·
Super Moderator
19,040 Posts
My way of thinking is this...the common sense approach would be to accomplish troubleshooting tasks in order, which per the earlier link discussed sensor harness inspection, connector integrity, and then per the Service Manual check of wiring and sensor resistance.

This approach is paramount especially with this simple sensor (the actual component portion) of historic (Forum supported) trouble-free performance.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
You may be confusing the problem, Cam vs Crank sensor. Ignition isn't the issue here. The problem is with the crank sensor which supports the ECU with the needed coding parameters, not ignition / drivability impact. :) More of a nuisance code, really.
I never intimated there was an ignition issue, that reference was to your comment re spark plugs (debunked)... NOT to the OP comments...

The second of my posts was aimed at displaying the required or deficient signals to the ECU, which cannot be checked without a scope... even with the factory manual..

Lets not confuse the issue, but stay with the OP problem..

·
Super Moderator
19,040 Posts
"Lets not confuse the issue, but stay with the OP problem"

Precisely! :sneaky:

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts