Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the new temperature sensor for my 2003 Tracker with the 2.0 motor. I’ve already done a search but couldn’t find the answer.
Does anyone know exactly where the coolant temperature sensor is on this vehicle and what size socket it uses?

Thanks I’m advance.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
On the outlet elbow at the back of the cylinder head.

Find the radiator top hose, follow it back from the radiator, to the pipe running over the exhaust manifold to the back of the cylinder head, to the outlet elbow.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the outlet elbow at the back of the cylinder head.

Find the radiator top hose, follow it back from the radiator, to the pipe running over the exhaust manifold to the back of the cylinder head, to the outlet elbow.
Thank you. Also the new one has an o ring on it. I don’t need to add Teflon tape as well do I?

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Are you sure you have the correct sensor? The parts catalog (Suzuki) that I have does not list an O-ring for that sensor.

Take a close look at the threads on the sensor, if they are tapered use teflon tape, if they aren't use the O ring.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also do you happen to have a pic of the exact spot where the sensor is? I found something with a light grey piece which I unclipped but everything is so tight back there I’m not 100% sure that’s it

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
I have no pictures, and my daughter has that car so I can't go out and snap one, but, it's the only electrical connector down between the head and the firewall - like I said , follow the hose and pipe you can't miss it.

Correction - it's one of two connectors, the one on the right side.

·
Super Moderator
18,860 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I’m stuck. None of my sockets fit over the plastic end of the sensor so I went and bought an oxygen sensor socket set, unfortunately it is to big to fit back there with all the crap that’s in the way.

Does anyone have any ideas or is there a better tool for the job?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I found a shop to replace the coolant temp sensor and everything was great. It ran so much better and the vibrations went way down. Just today I was driving and the check engine light came on and it showed a P0128 code that said something about the temperature sensor. Anyone know what the issue could be?

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Let's approach this a little differently - what was the original problem - the one led you to replace the coolant temperature sensor?

The Suzuki manuals I have don't list a P0128 code, but it is a generic code that indicates the engine is running cooler than it should be

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just read that they should be replaced at about 100,000 miles plus it had symptoms of a bad sensor.

And I did replace the thermostat a few months ago with a duralast from autozone. Could that have gone bad maybe?

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
What were these "symptoms of a bad sensor" ? And regarding replacement at about 100,000 miles, that one is news to me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It had a lack of power, felt kind of restricted. Also vibrations at idle. And once it was replaced those problems went away.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Just my opinion - but none of those symptoms are in any way related to a defective coolant temperature sensor - had I been in your shoes and someone suggested changing the CTS, I would have considered them crazy - I would have, at the very least, used a scanner to see how the temperatures the sensor was reporting to the ECU compared to the actual temperatures before replacing anything.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Just today I was driving and the check engine light came on and it showed a P0128 code that said something about the temperature sensor. Anyone know what the issue could be?
This P0128 code indicates the coolant isn't reaching operating temperature fast enough. I'm assuming here you don't have access to a scanner or don't know how to use one.

When this code appeared, was your car fully up to operating temperature? If yes, I'd start by looking at the coolant temp sensor (CTS) connector.

You say your mechanic just replaced your CTS. Check to see whether the connector is firmly snapped back into place. Find the wire and GENTLY pull it away from the sensor. If you find it completely disconnected, or if it appears to be connected but it pulls straight out, THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM. These cheap plastic connectors have a locking latch mechanism that can break if you're not careful. They're supposed to lock into place to make a clean connection.

If the plastic latch is unbroken, press it down and gently wiggle the connector to remove it from the sensor. (If the connector has recently been removed this will be easy. If the sensor hasn't been touched in 20 years, it will be tough to remove. I use lubricant and I STILL break the latch half the time). Clean it up, reattach it onto the CTS until it clicks into place, and see what happens.

However if your connector is firmly attached and the car was NOT up to operating temperature when the P0128 code appeared, then yes I would suspect the thermostat operation. I replaced mine two years ago and it runs cooler than I expected. My engine reaches max temperature at about the 25% mark on the gauge. However I've never gotten a P0128 code. So if for example your defroster gets warm before the code is triggered, I would not suspect the thermostat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts