Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
None of the parts houses around here can get a flywheel for a auto. Only standard. Thought that was strange. I need one for my 98 Chevy tracker 2dr. Pulled my engine and found that it only had two bolts holding the tranny and motor together. Broke the bell housing on the tranny and busted the flywheel. I don't want to buy a cheap flywheel just wondered what you all recommend.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Figured it out. It's called a flex plate on a auto!! I learn something today. Lol
I have always called it a flex plate, but I have also heard of it being called a "drive plate."

It isn't a "flywheel" as it doesn't have the mass to create the flywheel effect. The torque converter provides this mass. But you need something to attach the torque converter to the engine and hold the starter gear ring. The Flex Plate also has a little give to allow for the slight imperfection in how the engine and transmission lines up. (The clutch provides this on a manual transmission.)

Anyway....

I am fairly sure that you can use just about any flex plate from any G16/automatic application. IIRC: The main difference between a TracKick and a front wheel drive flex plate is the FWD one has a "timing scale" stamped into it. I KNOW this is true for the J18 motors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.