Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my beloved 1999 Suzuki Esteem manual transmission is shot, the first and second gear is gone. so I drop the transmission to try rebuild it. After opened it, It is not the synchro rings or bearing are bad (maybe they are bad as well), but found out 4 of the 6 screws that fastened the left case plate have been shaved their heads, and the left case plate cracked along one of the screw hole. See attached photo with circle in red. I need to buy this left case plate and 6 screws, either brand new or used. Anyone is kind to g
IMG_0214A.jpg
uide me to the place where I can buy them?

·
Super Moderator
12,255 Posts
Try Transparts Warehouse - they may be able to help.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
weld the plate and fit generic metric countersunk screws and use loctite.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow, I am amazed. Thank you!. I will mark this website and keep it as long as i keep my Suzuki Esteem!

From the link you provided, I can see there are two models listed, I presume my 1999 Suzuki Esteem Wagon 1.6L manual transmission should be Fig 225F as you stated and not 225G. Can you further clarify?
The part number associated with this model HT51S-4_225F is 24725-65G20. It even gave the the part number for the screw which is 09120-06014.
But sorry that they do not have any stock for either of them right now.
When did you purchase yours?

·
Super Moderator
17,654 Posts
Have your purchasing source verify the item part numbers with regard to your VIN number, that way you can't go wrong.

And as far a sources go, see this thread and the list of additional Dealers that can often get you what is needed, particularly since you have diagrams and part numbers at the ready now. ;)

Also, Google the part number in question and you will often find additional sources as well!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have your purchasing source verify the item part numbers with regard to your VIN number, that way you can't go wrong.

And as far a sources go, see this thread and the list of additional Dealers that can often get you what is needed, particularly since you have diagrams and part numbers at the ready now. ;)

Also, Google the part number in question and you will often find additional sources as well!
this post has so much useful info and knowledge. Appreciated very much!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is my understanding that 225G used 5 bolt and one screw, while 6 screws (are used in mine) for the 225F. I am wondering if I can use 5 bolt and one screw instead, the reason is because this setup of 5 bolts and 1 screw appears to be much stronger than just 6 screws. I am not sure if the plates used in these two applications are exactly the same though. Anyone can help to explain?

·
Super Moderator
17,654 Posts
Would bolt HEADS offer a protrusion / interference problem in your case over countersunk fasteners? :unsure: That would be the key here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have two concerns here,
a) not sure if the recess of the hole on the plate will be good match with that on the bolt;
b) not sure if the bolt head is too high to interfere with the surrounding moving part;
i have not tried out the countersunk fasteners, but i doubt they will work, everything with Japanese car are metric, but i believe the countersunk fasteners are ASE instead.

·
Super Moderator
17,654 Posts
The thread spec is here...
M6 x 18mm, 11mm Head, 6mm Allen, 1mm Thread - Suzuki - 09120-06014

https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/sz-09120-06014

And after further thought, if the plate is machined to accept countersunk screws, then a conventional bolt is not the answer for it will not secure the plate as it is designed.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
You can't use bolts, there is insufficient clearance to the 5th gear assembly and the plate is already countersunk for the screws.. I have thought like you have on a few and gone the following way. Use the countersunk hex head screws that Max has found, make sure holes are cleaned with brake cleaner and apply stud lock or thread locker to the threads and the counter sink face as well, locktite 243 stud lock would be my preferred as you don't want it to move.
install repaired or new plate and screws, and assemble the box..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for your advise. I have managed to remove 3 of the remaining part of the broken screws. But the 4th refused to be removed, and firmly stuck into and becomes part of the aluminum body. I have to drill it off, use needle files to enlarge the hole and re-tap the thread. But the threads look very ugly and appears not strong enough. I am thinking to use J-B weld component to permanently install the screw in that failed hole. Any feasible suggestion?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Helicoil kits aren't cheap, but once its done, and done correctly, it never needs doing again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BTW, I am searching for the sealant for the matching surface between right and left case, and the left case and top cover. What do your guys have been used and proven to be long lasting without leaking?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts