Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so when I was 15 my gma bought a 2005 Suzuki Reno and I was like oh yeah I love hatchbacks. One day I am going to steal this thing and make it worth something to look at and enjoy driving.

Well now I've gotten the car and dear God this thing needs a lot of love. It was not really taken care of at all and since the Suzuki Dealership closed a lot of recalls have to be fixed about 2hrs away from where we are now(not a big deal just a drive). Luckily the engine was replaced and only has about 50K on it so minus doing an oil change, new spark plugs,wires and tubes(car acts as if it is not getting enough power to the engine when idle) I'm going suspension.

Heres what I plan on purchasing in the next 2-3 weeks:
Cosmis MRII 15x8 +30mm

As you can see not much...

I was thinking maybe going for D2 coilovers since apparently they are made for this car and I want to go for a flush look but not sure if itd be easier with coilovers or springs.

Also now that I've found the wheels I've come into the hang up of finding tires that will fit them properly. Any suggestions would be awesome people.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Only 1 active member on this forum

Ok so apparently people look but don't really help each other out on this forum unless there is a project they really want to attempt themselves...How in the bloody hell is that beneficial to anybody trying to learn. I've read so many started threads without and answer its beyond depressing. So bad that I begun to look up answers for a few of them in some hope that maybe I could help obviously since I am new to the workings of this car I did not answer. Still that is ridiculous people. I thought club3g was bad but I'd rather have a bunch of assholes trolling than silence. So since nobody seems to care maybe somebody who reads this later will have some level of help

*************************rant ended*************************

Ok so what I have found through about 2hrs of research as far as the suspension set up for this car is pretty simple. Prices are not the best but it is better to have an idea than nothing at all.

Coilovers:

D2 is the main that I have heard for this forum over KW. However KW is frikin crazy expensive compared to D2 and the other brands I'm showing. Also D2 is more well known to some who have been around a while and seems to come in a nice package from what the sales man and I discussed through email. Without shipping these run at $910 (shipping might be $150 or free).

D2 Racing Coilovers RS Series | Adjustable Camber Plate |2005-20

BC Coilovers were another that were mentioned in a thread and even though the ebay link had expired. I found them anyhow. These bad boys will require shipping that you probably will not see for week. Living over seas for a while I can honestly say 4-7 days really mean 8-12 in a lot of cases. That and the british pound is about $1.69....so without shipping you are already looking at just under $1200.

V1 Series Coilover : Type VL - Chevrolet Lacetti & Optra 02-08 - Chevrolet Coilovers - Applications | BC Racing Coilovers

Last but not least in the search for fairly priced coilovers there is a company called PB Brakes that makes a coilover kit for the Reno/Optra/Lacetti. These
are a little cheaper as they are $1010.45 with shipping included. Since I do not know much about this company all I can say is take a chance. Sales staff is friendly enough to work with you. I cut a deal to get the shipping included in the final price.

Chevrolet Lacetti Coilover Suspension Kit

Wheels and tires....this is where I have the majority of my problems in research...some people have stayed in the 15x8 range others have gone to 17x7/7.5. I say do what you want in that aspect but if you are looking to save some funds then I'd suggest going through Avid.1 Wheels. They have a size at a decent price for everything. If you want a higher end racing tire at the 15x8 then Cosmis Racing Wheels have a wheel that might appeal to some.

Wheels | Avid 1 WheelsAvid 1 Wheels

https://www.cosmisusa.com/shop/mr-ii-wheel/

This is all of the information I've been able to find in the little bit of time I have really looked. There are body kits and all that stuff that are available to typical KDM suppliers. Youre not going to like the prices on those but its a start. Obviously with bigger wheels and tires there is a possibilty of bigger brakes and things of that nature if you are willing to do some fab work. I can personally say that my build will more than likely include:

D2 Coilovers
Avid1 AV-06 17x8 (yeah I know rolling the fenders)
225/45-17 Hankook Ventus V2 concept2 (for the fall/winter)
225/45-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 (for spring/summer)

looking into sway bars and brakes

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
ok for one thing you seriously need to relax. not trying to be mean but you just joined the forum and have no idea how hard its been to even keep it going. keep up with that kind of an attitude youll never get any help on here. there are more questions coming in then there are people to answer them. there are only two or three regulars on the forum these days and everyone tries to help where they can. we have lives and cant spend every second of every day waiting around for your questions. lets be realistic, you posted this question yesterday. why not give a little time for someone to grab a precious second from there lives and want to spend it answering questions and helping people they dont even know. did it kill you to do some research on your own? was it that important that your question about possible future parts was answered the second it was posted? do you need everything the easy way or do you mind doing some research and getting your hands dirty? your one night of looking on the internet will never compare to the endless hours of research time i have spent on my PC trying to make connections with parts suppliers and find answers to problems i dont know the answer to, all to make forum members lives a little easier. this is a community and in a community sometimes you need to do your own work then share with everyone else. you did some research and you got some info. good.
now on to your questions. about wheels and tires. offset, anything between 38-42 is suggested stock sizing. anything wider than 8" your going to rub. not sure how much youll be able to drop the car on coilovers with wheels that big. you might have to roll the fenders and remove the fender liner. not many on the forum have gone that size so its tough to say. i remember one person who went 17x8 on coilovers and he had the inner liner removed. about coilovers, just so you know KW is one of the best suspension makers in the world. at the forefront of all the tech and constantly developing new products and winning races. thats why there so expensive. people seem to like BC, D2 is ok, theres also KSPORT. as for the last brand im not sure i would trust putting them on my car. seems like cheap Chinese parts. it can also be difficult to get things shipped from there. when building a car one thing thats important to remember is, choosing cheap parts often gets you exactly that, cheap parts. quality parts are more expensive for a reason, superior build quality and all the hours of R&D. now lets all be friends

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive been researching this car since I knew I was going to get it back last year. Ive looked at this forum for a year before I joined it in hopes I might get more info. I get everyone has a personal life god forbid someone be so obsessed with this car they turn into a hermit. I obviously have no issue doing research and getting my hands dirty for any car. The two hours I used for the suspension build wwas after reading every wiki and thread in relation to this car. Wheels were already an idea ling before I even brought it up to the forum.

Kinky is dead so parts do not exist as far as proper engine mods. Found a guy who boosted but of course he got his mods from kinky except for the turbo. At best Magnaflow has a cat back and pipe that can be added to a muffler so the car gets a deeper sound. Without a header I see that as a waste. BMS intakes dont seem to exist anymore either. Cant even find them used. So unless you found an alternative that I haven't looked into please let me know. Otherwise I'm afraid tgis will be like club3g where I had to prove there was a smarter way to boost an automatic car

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ive been researching this car since I knew I was going to get it back last year. Ive looked at this forum for a year before I joined it in hopes I might get more info. I get everyone has a personal life god forbid someone be so obsessed with this car they turn into a hermit. I obviously have no issue doing research and getting my hands dirty for any car. The two hours I used for the suspension build wwas after reading every wiki and thread in relation to this car. Wheels were already an idea ling before I even brought it up to the forum.

Kinky is dead so parts do not exist as far as proper engine mods. Found a guy who boosted but of course he got his mods from kinky except for the turbo. At best Magnaflow has a cat back and pipe that can be added to a muffler so the car gets a deeper sound. Without a header I see that as a waste. BMS intakes dont seem to exist anymore either. Cant even find them used. So unless you found an alternative that I haven't looked into please let me know. Otherwise I'm afraid tgis will be like club3g where I had to prove there was a smarter way to boost an automatic car
Intake: make your own setup with Spectre(they have metal pieces)
Exhaust: Magnaflow's decent, I still prefer Dynomax. Tenneco/Walker owns it and Thrush. They came up with the first turbo muffler for the turbo Corvair. Check out my section for the Ultra Flo SS dual muffler design(different).
Turbo: you might want to start with grooving the head and throttle body first...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YbcOhiwmkE , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHV-ANmN0ns ...then spend the big money fabricating.

Good luck, Brad

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks I appreciate it. I am honestly looking at this in a looks and ride car now. My 3g Eclipse was mostly a giant project to prove a point about being able to make any car able to be boosted. Some work more than others but its possible....This car eh not so much. I have a spare 4g63t engine in my garage but I've no idea how I'd even fit that properly into this car. Not to mention if I did I could control it properly when I finished the mods. My 3g scared the hell out of me when I first got it off the dyno not sure I want to deal with that for the car thats meant to just get me to and from work without using up so much gas.

Now how the hell did you get those mods to work Petty Officer? (I'm an MA3ret)

·
Registered
72 Posts
For the exhaust, I've tested out several configurations on several cars over time(Flowmaster, Holley, Walker, etc.). The design I've wanted since I had my '04 Caviler and didn't want small straight-throughs for dual tips...knew there was a better(crazier) way. The exhaust shop was a little more hesitant, but I had faith in them and it was done in less than 3 hours. For the grooving, I haven't gotten serious enough to save the money yet. But I now have a very interested machinist and shop. Sounds like you like tinkering with designs too. Hope it works out, Brad

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right everything I see is either FlowMaster or Magna Flow....not to copy your set up as I am happy with a single muffler but what exactly did your exhaust shop do? I've got some funds coming in and I have enough to do a exhaust build and attempt some body work granted that in its self is starting to turn into a bigger list of questions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I take it you didn't look on my "My version of mods" page in the performance section?

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apologies I was giving you my responses mostly through phone so most of the conversations were skimmed, skimmed again and given a reply. I am looking at your mod page now to see what exactly I am doing wrong. I actually found a guy about 4hrs away who has grooved engine heads before and still does for customers who ask for it. Mostly trucks and older muscle cars but he says the science is the same all around so I am going to try and get that done this weekend since I have to wait for everything else

·
Registered
72 Posts
You're Lucky, in the Portland and Everett area, they didn't know what I was talking about. Seems odd to me if you're a speed shop, wouldn't you want to keep up with the latest? Make sure to post lots of pics here and driiive.com if you get it done before me. Later, Brad

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I plan on having to start a new thread and taking pictures and videos for that....still trying to find your short ram intake. For some reason I cannot match it

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just hit the "Deep Blue" link to go to my Driiive.com page(more explanations there). If not: My Mods

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah thats what I did. A post from someone on your Mods page said something about getting the spectre piping from a pep boys or something as long as its got a 90degree angle coming out basically. So I might try and do that this weekend as well get my engine mods done first while waiting on my suspension to come through. Like I said once I get there i will open up a new thread and put as many videos and pictures with explanations and DIY's for the process.

Hopefully when I finish somebody who wants will have something to learn from and I'll have a car that doesnt make me want to throw things around my garage.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Hi corvo1230. I understand your frustration but I think your looking in the wrong places. As for proper engine mods there's tons. What are you looking to do? Cams, pistons, valve train? As for putting a turbo on the engine it's been done. There's an active member right now who has a turbo on his forenza. For an intake you can either make your own or Weapon-R sells two different version for our cars one is the "secret weapon" intake and one is called the "dragon". About the header no one has really tackled that one yet. No think you can get one from Europe but shipping might kill you. I'd need to look but I think it's for the c20xe engine. There's also a flange available if you want to have one fabricated. The same company that does the flange also makes custom headers.i haven't really looked I to it that much but here's the link Engine Header Flanges
Why not start a new thread about what your looking to do to the car and your ideas for it. We can help you find the parts you just have to ask. You get more bees with honey ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
7....I think my rant might have been a little off putting for you and the Mods that have come after me. I get it you guys are more relaxed and "decent" compared to the other two forums I am a member of. That being said if I am to build this engine then cams, cam gear, pistons would be nice but then I'd have to worry about the crankshaft as well. I've already looked into the C20 engine series in the quest of future engine swap ideas. Probably not going to happen but it was fun to entertain the idea.

I'm going the Spectre pipe with Weapon R filter method for my intake and I plan to start a new thread when I get back from grooving my engine head this weekend if all works out accordingly with work. Where I'll be recording and getting the guy to explain every detail possible about the process so that others who might want to try can do it. I honestly plan on doing it to my 3g Eclipse as well. I love the boost hate the gas mileage it takes away from me when I go over 10psi(i want more dont judge me). This car will not be boosted..would I like a little extra pick up and throttle response absolutely. However I am in no mood to go through the trials and headaches of figuring the engine build out or having to rip out the gear box, send it to NJ so the mad scientist at IPT can make me a Stage 1+ - Stage 2 AT since I don't think these cars can handle that much boost anyhow.

This car will have a flush stance and just over all look clean. If there is a members ride section in the forum I will post pictures and mods via that as well like with the other forums I am with.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Honestly I don't think grooving the head with be a worthwhile procedure. It's going to be expensive as they need to remove the head in order to do it. There are no proven gains from doing this just the claims of the guy that invented the idea. If you do decide to go have it done your also going to need a new head gasket and new head studs as the OEM studs are single use only.

·
Registered
72 Posts
$75.00 Eibach Pro-Kit?!

Belay my last...My Dad uses Eibach on his '00 Z28 and loves them. Any opinions?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I gotta cut down on the caffeine. Sorry for getting people's hopes up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cruel cruel cruel world we live in....The guy at the shop lied about everything so before we could even get started I got in the car and drove home. That being said. 7 the link you gave me worked one day now its dead but after talking to a gentleman there I was quoted me $1000 even for a a new header. considering they have to be built and fabbed up for the car not that big of a deal. Literally going to happen next week.

I found this site and hoping by sometime tomorrow or by Wednesday I will get a good response in regards to our vehicles. Looks promising though.

www.evofusionusa.com Your Leader in Performance

1 - 20 of 25 Posts