Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey wheel spacers... what do thay do and are thay good ,, what work is involved in puting them on ?? thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Spacers give you a wider track (i.e. wheelbase will be wider) that accomplishes a couple of things:

1. Improve stability of the vehicle in off-camber (uneven) situations
2. Allow larger front tires to clear the leaf sprinsg and other undercarriage components during hard turns.

Spacers usually bolt on to the existing wheel studs. They have studs of their own onto which the wheel is then bolted.

Be careful about adding too much offset as it could give the axle more leverage against the suspension and lead to damage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks mate , but would the wider track put more pressure on the axle.. and if i was to put spacers on what would be a safe size, my sierra is very much a stock sierra but i do want to change that :)

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Lower center of gravity. The vehicle doesn't seem to shift (body roll) as much. I did this right after replacing the springs with a custom set for more control in the corners. I realize alot of that comes from the springs, but the wider stance has something to do with it too. It's easier to knock someone over if they have their feet together than if they have them shoulder width apart...
I also installed wider fender flares at the same time so the tires just come to the edge of the flares (no mud comes past the flares).

·
Registered
16 Posts
thanks mate , but would the wider track put more pressure on the axle.. and if i was to put spacers on what would be a safe size, my sierra is very much a stock sierra but i do want to change that :)
Too wide a track could increase the axle's leverage on the spring mounts. What you should be careful about is the part of the axle between the spring/shock mounts and the wheel. If you make that too long by adding too much offset, the added leverage could bend your axle at the mount.

I have seen a slightly bent axle resulting from such a situation, but that was the result of hard use over an extended period. Then again it does happen so it would be best to avoid it if you can.

I've no personal experience with spacers, having used offset rims instead. I have a 1.5 inch offset on each rim and haven't experienced any problems so far. I'd say you'd be safe with 1 - 1.5 inches.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The Toyota guys use a small gusset at the bottom of the axle where the tube meets the birfield bowl. That spot is where the axle housing is most prone to damage (bending).

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts