Suzuki Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Maybe adjust you driving style!
:lol::lol::rolleyes:
I can't do that!!! :eek:I see a gap which is rare and go for it.
Plus, I have never had this sort of lack of grip ever and that's with rear wheel only drive cars too!!;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well slightly more road noise at first, but seems to have lessened as bedded in. In wet they are in a different league

·
Registered
504 Posts
Would I go back to Bridgestone OE Eco thingy tyres. Nope. :D
I am saving up for some Hankook tyres but mostly to go bigger. I followed an identical Ignis for 40 mins the other day and just hated the skinny tyre look.:(

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
could always fit some rear mudflaps so the skinny wheel look wouldn't be visible:eek:

·
Registered
504 Posts
So you chose your tyres based on vanity rather than performance?
Who? Me??:eek:
Hell yes.:rolleyes:
The tyres can be the best in the world but spoils a motor if they don't look right. Anyway, tyres are much of a muchness these days, like cars which all look the same to get economy down in a wind tunnel, similarly tyres all perform very much the same.
I followed an Ignis and it looked like it was running on pram wheels.:lol::lol:

·
Registered
248 Posts
It's all a bit academic if you retain the original wheels. The 5J 175 60 16 combination on the Ignis has been selected on the basis of improved fuel economy and should also handle better in the snow than a wider tyre. You're limited with a 5J rim to a maximum tyre width of 185 and visually you'd be hard pressed telling the difference between 175 and 185. To keep the rolling radius about the same - you'd need to go to a 185 55 16 tyre - the plus side is that this is a far more common size with a wide range of available tyres. If you really want to beef up the tyres then you'll need to fit wider wheels. Some investigation would be required to ensure sufficient clearance with suspension components.

Suzuki didn't really pay much attention to the availability of tyres for the Ignis. High street retailers will only be able to source three or four brands and the two premium brands, Bridgestone and Yokahama are a ridiculous price. If you want a bigger choice including all-season tyres then you'll have to use an online supplier - many of these are based on the continent. Not really a satisfactory situation.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The tyres are comically thin and it's particularly apparent at the back. However they do work pretty well; I'm sick of massive alloys on stupid ultra low profile tyres on almost every car; noisy, they drag, fragile and heavy.
The Ignis is fit for purpose and works while mostly looking pretty neat too.
I'd like a bit more front end grip as it gets a bit busy when pushed but overall it's a fun little car even in the wet and those thin tyres work well in rain, mud and (I presume) snow.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The tyres are comically thin and it's particularly apparent at the back. However they do work pretty well;
The Ignis is fit for purpose and works while mostly looking pretty neat too.
I'd like a bit more front end grip as it gets a bit busy when pushed
Yes I agree. As it is it is fine.

I am 50% interested in getting a touch more height or should I say ground clearance, just ½"is all, with slightly better grip at the front end too! So slightly higher and slightly wider will do me nicely but it is not something I am treating as urgent; unlike the side impact protectors on the doors which to me was urgent. :lol::lol:

21 - 35 of 35 Posts