Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a Jimny, had it from new, it's now 4 years old. Had the front near side bearings replaced last year under warranty. My car is in for a service today and they tell me the front off side bearings need replacing! Is this a common fault, dare I say design fault with the Jimny? I haven't driven off-road. Keith

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your question correctly but I’ll give it a try anyway.

The Jimny got somewhat different steering knuckles compared to modern front wheel driven cars. Modern cars have a rubber bellow (I don’t know if “rubber below” the right word in English) to protect the steering knuckle from dust and dirt.

The Jimny has a another design of the steering knuckle as well as king pin bearings. If you drive in 4WD mode on a dry surface and turn the car fully around the steering knuckle will be damaged after to many of these 4WD turns. Full turns should be done in 2WD mode.

The king pin bearings are somewhat sensitive. First of all; driving at high speed over potholes and other bumpy parts in the road will damage these bearings over time. Second; driving in water submerging the front wheels and axle may cause water to leak in the front axle. It’s common to find water when taking the low king pin lid of.

I drove my company Jimny for more then 130’000 km and my private one for more then 40’000 km by now. I’ve never experienced any trouble what so ever with the regular wheel bearings.

.. Boris
www.jimny.se

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi i have a 2001 Y jimny. Recently failed its MOT on the off-side wheel bearing. The guys managed to nip the bearing up.

Since doing that a steering vibration problem @ about 50mph has dropped significantly!!!

I've been told they will need replacing within 12 months @ about £100!

If you've recently had them done under warranty, get the bloody thing back to the garage and tell them what for!

I frequently take my car through the forest and along bumpy roads, rarely slowing down so i have no grounds for complaints when things like bushes, sterring stuff, bearings etc go wrong!

I once did a full turning circle trick in 4wd and clatter, clatter bang, made me think hmm...problems!!!! Seems ok for the time being tho!

A lot of the problems not only come from crappily fabricated parts, and not using good stuff like rubber, but also the fact that it's a floating front axel!!!

Hope this helps, Jonny

·
Registered
29 Posts
Check my reply to Juju under front wheel lugs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts