Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Grand Vitara 2wd 4 cylinder auto with about 18500 miles on it. For the past couple of months I notice a rumbling sound when I get up to about 45mph then it goes away. When I start up from a stop it sounds normal until I get to just about 45mph, than when it gets to about 50mph it goes away again. I know it's coming from the engine just from how it sounds. It's a kind of rumbly-grumbly sound that kind of slightly vibrates through the car. Any ideas???? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
Check your exhaust system heat shields for looseness / vibration, first off. ;)

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
Then it could be anything in the drive-train from torque converter, trans, drive-shaft, rear gears, or even a tire issue. :(

Have you ruled out an engine noise? Checked the level and conditions of all vital fluids?

Too hard to pinpoint from here I'm afraid.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking it is an engine noise. Had an oil change last month and all fluids were topped off... I haven't taken it in to have it looked at yet. Just thought maybe someone else has maybe had this issue. IF it's an issue at all....maybe it's just normal? I don't know. Just trying to get some ideas!

·
Registered
111 Posts
This sounds like the automatic transmission isn't shifting at the optimum point, and you, in effect, are in a gear that is too high for the speed you're traveling at (~~45 MPH). ie. with these 4 speed transmissions and the 4 banger 2.4L, your transmission may have shifted into 4th gear too early (~45 MPH), when it should have attained higher RPM before making the shift.

We had this EXACT issue (we had the same truck, but with the 4x4 lock option, and ESP) at around the same speed you are having the issue with. It feels like when you drive a manual transmission, and shift into the next gear way too early, and you get transmission shudder (a low rumble, that feels like your entire vehicle is shaking, but gently, not too violently).

You have to get a feel for these 4 speed Suzuki automatic trannies (it has WAY too few gears; it should have at minimum, a 5 or even 6 speed tranny), and kick it down with the gas pedal just before you hit say, 40 MPH, to force a correct shift-point. This worked for me...every time.

We traded our 2012 4 cyl 2.4 liter GV last month (at a fantastic trade-in deal we couldn't pass up, and monthly that was same as Suzuki payments at same balance of contract) for a much larger and much more powerful 2014 SUV (a large 6 cyl with nearly double the horses and 1.7 times the torque, with a 6 speed tranny, with real AWD and a manual paddle-shifter: we never used the Suzuki locking diff) and more than 2 inches additional ground clearance. Because we drive very long distances across the USA in dead of winter, we didn't feel comfortable having almost no Suzuki service places and no guarantee of (potentially catastrophic down-time waiting for parts) parts supply along our 2000+ mile route if a Suzuki proprietary electronic control module ever went (and, we really needed at least double the cargo space, and much more comfortable 10-way fully heated seat-bottoms and seat-backs both sides up front, all the way up to the head rests {getting older, need way more comfort, power and interior quiet than the Grand Vitara could ever deliver} ).

Good luck,
Dugway-

·
Registered
111 Posts
....its an Edge Sport (fully loaded)...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts