Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
You sure thats a 1.6? if you're in the US then that is almost certainly a 1.3 cylinder head.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
if it is a 1.6 then it's a 1.3 head on it. The heads are interchangeable on both 8 valve engines. The bolt pattern on the bell housing is different though. You won't be able to bolt a 1.6L block to a samurai transmission without the adapter plate. If there's no adapter plate between the block and the tranny then you have a 1.3L engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know for certain its a 1.6l block because i had to get an adapter kit for it, the motor runs i know that all that i have left to do in the swap is get a fuel pump. so it is a 1.3l head i guess. Is the 1.3L head better or worse than the 1.6l head?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the 1.6 head has slightly larger ports than the 1.3 so you shouldn't use a 1.6 intake manifold on a 1.3 head. Since the 1.6 manifold has larger ports than the intake ports on the head, The airflow is disrupted by the lip of the smaller port on the head. Ok to use a 1.3 manifold on a 1.6 head since the intake manifold ports are larger than the head ports the flow isn't interrupted.
The valves are the same on both heads, but the chamber volume is less on the 1.6 head giving you higher compression. This is good for natural aspiration, but If you're running a supercharger or a turbo, the 1.3 head would be more advantageous since it has lower compression ratio. The 1.6 head has stronger springs than the 1.3 head. The valve cover is aluminum on the 1.6 and better quality, but it's a direct fit on the 1.3 head as well.

The fuel pump is the only other thing I can think of that is different between them.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
the 1.6 head has slightly larger ports than the 1.3 so you shouldn't use a 1.6 intake manifold on a 1.3 head. Since the 1.6 manifold has larger ports than the intake ports on the head, The airflow is disrupted by the lip of the smaller port on the head. Ok to use a 1.3 manifold on a 1.6 head since the intake manifold ports are larger than the head ports the flow isn't interrupted.
The valves are the same on both heads, but the chamber volume is less on the 1.6 head giving you higher compression. This is good for natural aspiration, but If you're running a supercharger or a turbo, the 1.3 head would be more advantageous since it has lower compression ratio. The 1.6 head has stronger springs than the 1.3 head. The valve cover is aluminum on the 1.6 and better quality, but it's a direct fit on the 1.3 head as well.

The fuel pump is the only other thing I can think of that is different between them.
Chamber volume is the same for a 1.3 8V and a 1.6 8V, the 1.6 has bigger valves as well as bigger ports. The valve cover on the 1.6 8V Track/kick is tin (although there was a Metro with an alloy rocker cover), the EFI has an extra breather on the rocker cover.
You can use a 1.6 manifold if you open out the ports on the 1.3 head to match. If you had a carb engine then you will have to use the 1.6 manifolds because you need the additional sensors.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
STOCK 1.3 cylinder head volume = 33cc/cyl
Stock 1.6 head volume = 32cc/cyl

both the 1.6 and the 1.3 8 valve engines have the same compression ratio but different stroke and bore.
1.3 and 1.6L compression ratio 9.5:1 (with their stock head)
1.3 Bore X Stroke (in.) 2.91 X 3.03
1.6 Bore X Stroke (in) 2.95 X 3.54

Putting the smaller volume head from the 1.6 on the samurai's 1.3 block will yield a higher compression ratio. I don't know what that ratio is but it is going to be higher. Probably the equivilent of running flat pistons vs dished pistons.

oh and the post about the valves being larger on the 1.6 is correct. The guy I know that is runing 1.6 valves on his 1.3 head had to machine the head to fit them. Not sure why he didn't just put a 1.6 head on it.
On the comment about intake manifold for carb engines, I think Rhinoman meant you need the 1.3 intake manifold for carbureted engines. which pre-emptively answers any question why you would run a 1.3 intake on a 1.6 head.
That aluminum valve cover I keep seeing IS off of a geo metro. They list it as a tracker cover, but it's not off of a tracker!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
On the comment about intake manifold for carb engines, I think Rhinoman meant you need the 1.3 intake manifold for carbureted engines. which pre-emptively answers any question why you would run a 1.3 intake on a 1.6 head.
A lot of markets got a 1.6 carb engine, my point was that you need an EFI manifold for an EFI engine.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Maybe that should have been clearer, the OP stated that he is fitting a 1.6 with EFI. The head is from a carb engine, either 1.3 or 1.6 but to run EFI then an EFI manifold should be used.
I think the OP stated that the original set up in his Sammy was a carb engine and I assumed the 1.6 manifold was from the TBI set up that is being fitted. Of course if the head is a 1.3 head and the Sammy was originally EFI then the 1.3 manifold could be used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts