Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start driving in the morning my 95 sidekick 16v makes a (noticeable but not frightening) clacking noise tied to rpm. It's loudest under mild acceleration, and quieter when idling or at high rpm. After 10 minutes or so the noise dies away and becomes a mild tick.

My guess is that it's a plugged oil channel to the head, and as the oil warms the lifters or whatever gets better oiling and quiets down. But i know very little about engines. So:

Any ideas on probable source, best way to verify the problem, and how to fix it. Is an engine flush risky on a 95 with 114k miles? (I just bought it so no history.)

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
I'd START with a valve lash adjustment / check. ;)

That or a better ID of the origin with a...

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
What viscosity oil are you using?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just bought it so no idea on oil etc. I will do a flush and change. What viscosity is recommended? It's got 114k miles.

Also, any tutorials on the valve lash job online? Never done that before.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
4,357 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New question. If this is valve lash is it normal for the noise to diminish after the engine warms up? I find that it's much quieter after 10 minutes on the road.

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
Yes, often.

Although other components can cause engine noise, one always begins with checking / setting for proper valve lash adjustment on engines equipped w/mechanical lifters. ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Max. I haven't had mechanical lifters since my Pinto, may it rest in pieces. But I'll relearn quickly.

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts
If you don't have a mechanic's stethoscope, try a length of garden hose or similar - one end to your ear, the other to different areas of the engine, to try to identify where the sound is coming from. And I agree with Max that yes, the valves can be louder at cold start if the lash needs to be done, along with 5w-30 weight oil, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have something similar, did the valve lash, bugger all difference. Been told its wear in the rockers, having a brass liner somewhere, wears a bit. My noise mostly goes in less than 5 mins and I think its improves once the oil is up and warmer. It concerns me though, and hope its not going to fail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts