Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a set of OME 2" springs/shocks on order for my '88 Sammi and I'd like to widen the stance about an inch or two on each side without having half the tire sticking out of the wheel well.

It appears that due to the shorntess of the Sammi's lugs, wheel spacers are not the way to go. What are my alternatives? Adapters for Ford or GM wheels? What backspace should I look for if I go that route?

I'm looking at running 245 or 235-75/15s.

Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
28 Posts
Use the wheel spacers. They will bolt, on using you short wheel studs, and they come with their own wheel studs to bolt your wheels to. Look at the pictures in the ads and you will see.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I'd like to widen the stance about an inch or two on each side without having half the tire sticking out of the wheel well.

It appears that due to the shorntess of the Sammi's lugs, wheel spacers are not the way to go.
Last answer was kind of short, but here is a better reason.
Many of the 'wheel spacers' out there are miss-named. A spacer is usually a shim that is sandwiched between your rotor and your wheel. This is where your point about the lugs is dead on. Without swapping to longer lugs, this kind of spacer just gets dangerous.
A wheel 'adapter' is a little different. It bolts to the rotor (usually using new stock nuts) and is torqued down for safety. Then your wheel slides onto new lugs that come out of the adapter and is held on like normal.

Unfortunately many folks call these spacers, but they are really adapters. Other uses can be when you want to go to a different wheel pattern. Adapters can be purchased that change the pattern of the lugs.

As for stance, A quality set of adapters and some wider fender flares can really add to your cornering ability, as well as your center of gravity on the trail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts