Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great site you have here. This is my first post hope I do it right. Have a 2003 tracker cel is on , scanner records map is the problem. Went on and drove for about a month even though there was a loss of power and a rough idle. Now it has gone into limp mode . Was not far from home so drove it home. But before the limp mode problem I changed the map actually 4 times but none of those corrected the situation. Took a multimeter found the 5 volt wire, ground wire, so connected the signal wire and ground to the multimeter got nothing,supposed to have 1 volt, so I have read. If that is correct, what would be next? Thanks for any answer. We really like the car but this is driving bonkers.

·
Super Moderator
18,625 Posts
What code numbers on a scan?

And do you mean MAP or possibly MAF? :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
18,625 Posts
Replaced with four different MAP sensors? Yeah, I'd say your issue is with the wiring connecting the sensors or totally elsewhere. :confused: EGR?

Sourced from the top FAQ thread, this download is chock full of specific 2.5L diagnostics, to include the MAP sensor

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Max thanks for quick reply it is the MAP I will get the code numbers soon as its light outside.
Last time I worked on it I cleared the code have not driven it enough for the code set I do remember it was the map

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replaced with four different MAP sensors? Yeah, I'd say your issue is with the wiring connecting the sensors or totally elsewhere. :confused: EGR?

Sourced from the top FAQ thread, this download is chock full of specific 2.5L diagnostics, to include the MAP sensor

Thanks for the info. I will check it out.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Biggest misconception about the codes is that they tell you what's wrong, which is entirely incorrect. The codes only refer to specific error conditions, in that the ECU is reporting that it's seeing a data value that outside an expected range given particular operating conditions, and it is still the mechanic's responsibility to do proper diagnostics based on that code along with other information.

Most parts/systems/circuits will have at least two codes associated with it - a high and a low code. High/low temp, high/low voltage, etc. This is why we need to know the specific code or codes that are being set, not just "A code related to X". This is especially true when multiple codes are being set.

In your case, lets just say it was P1107 - Map sensor low voltage. A sensor developing an open circuit inside could cause that, but merely unplugging the sensor would also set that code, as would a loose connector, or a broken wire.

On the flip side, say it was P1108 - Map sensor high voltage. Could still be a faulty sensor, or a short in the wiring somewhere. But highly unlikely that it would be a loose or unplugged connector.

This is why we need specific codes, and merely replacing the affected part often won't fix the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Biggest misconception about the codes is that they tell you what's wrong, which is entirely incorrect. The codes only refer to specific error conditions, in that the ECU is reporting that it's seeing a data value that outside an expected range given particular operating conditions, and it is still the mechanic's responsibility to do proper diagnostics based on that code along with other information.

Most parts/systems/circuits will have at least two codes associated with it - a high and a low code. High/low temp, high/low voltage, etc. This is why we need to know the specific code or codes that are being set, not just "A code related to X". This is especially true when multiple codes are being set.

In your case, lets just say it was P1107 - Map sensor low voltage. A sensor developing an open circuit inside could cause that, but merely unplugging the sensor would also set that code, as would a loose connector, or a broken wire.

On the flip side, say it was P1108 - Map sensor high voltage. Could still be a faulty sensor, or a short in the wiring somewhere. But highly unlikely that it would be a loose or unplugged connector.

This is why we need specific codes, and merely replacing the affected part often won't fix the problem.
Thanks just trying to learn the problem with the tracker. Am going to retest the map to make sure it was done correctly. I think I missed a step after listening to more on you tube.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks just trying to learn the problem with the tracker. Am going to retest the map to make sure it was done correctly. I think I missed a step after listening to more on you tube.
Back again , finally got back to work on the tracker, turned out to be the third cat was plugged up. Just wondered why there were no 02 sensors around it. Anyway thanks for pointing in another direction I had tunnel vision over the map sensor. Still showing a 108 code.

·
Super Moderator
14,567 Posts
What is the exact code you see?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the exact code you see?
Fordem. after clearing all old po codes .checking new pending codes , po108 map, barometric pressure circuit high and po420 bank 1 catalyst system efficiency below threshold came up, also p1875 was 4wd low switch circuit malfunction . AS not doing diagnostics ever just trying to learn,not working on autos before, am retired and have a lot of time. Am using a foxwell NT301 reader if that helps. Hope this is the info that you asked. After clicking on the help button the reader gives a lot of info to check as you know, in the stored codes there is po430,po171, po174. My question, which should be first in line to check. Another question if the 02 sensors check out bad, what the procedure to get to them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fordem. after clearing all old po codes .checking new pending codes , po108 map, barometric pressure circuit high and po420 bank 1 catalyst system efficiency below threshold came up, also p1875 was 4wd low switch circuit malfunction . AS not doing diagnostics ever just trying to learn,not working on autos before, am retired and have a lot of time. Am using a foxwell NT301 reader if that helps. Hope this is the info that you asked. After clicking on the help button the reader gives a lot of info to check as you know, in the stored codes there is po430,po171, po174. My question, which should be first in line to check. Another question if the 02 sensors check out bad, what the procedure to get to them.
I need to clarify the last question about the sensors its where they connect is the problem..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I need to clarify the last question about the sensors its where they connect is the problem..
I still did not ask that correctly the wire connectors are impossible to reach. what parts need to come off to disconnect them .hope you understand.

·
Super Moderator
14,567 Posts
FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions) on Parts...

Download the relevant manuals from the link above, and then research the numeric codes that the foxwell gives you - ignore the foxwell's code definitions, they are generic and will mislead you - the manuals will also guide you through the relevant troubleshooting steps.

·
Super Moderator
18,625 Posts
Another question if the 02 sensors check out bad, what the procedure to get to them.
With difficulty, but FAQ sourced / explained here...

·
Registered
450 Posts
If you need, I have pictures that'll show where the connections are. It's a PITA, but can be done without removing anything else. If you happen to have 2 wrists on one arm, that'll help.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you need, I have pictures that'll show where the connections are. It's a PITA, but can be done without removing anything else. If you happen to have 2 wrists on one arm, that'll help.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply Max posted some picts and info,now for the struggle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts