Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the suzuki world and need some help. I just got my first 88 Samurai and its all stock. I want to put a lift and bigger tires. Ive heard about spring over kits but dont know how high to go. What would be the right kind of lift for an economy budget and maybe put 35" tires? Could these tires and lift be done by a back yard mechanic? How tall of a lift would i need for these tires?
Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
This is on 33's... and because of the aggressive nature and much heavier tire weight, this lift is no where near an 'economy budget'. If you want to go cheap, stay with 30's and a 2" lift. Otherwise it starts to get expensive fast. My rear axle alone is worth more than most folks spend just buying a stock Samurai.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I know that wasn't very clear. Sorry.
The bigger (and more aggressive) the tire, the more it will cost to keep components from exploding on the trail when trying to turn them. Stock Suzuki axles aren't strong enough to handle more than a 33" tire when actually used on a challenging trail.

Oh, and Welcome!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Billjohn, I guess i need to start with 33s. I know that the bigger tire the more likely it is to replace parts. I want to put a lift and know when people say budget people think cheap, but i want to know what lift will do this. If it cost then so be it. What wheels or offset do i need to run 33s also.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Great picture !!
Your rig has changed some since late 90s.
Looks very able.
What skid plate do you use ?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
What skid plate do you use ?
This is the one I ran for many years.

But once I went to a center (t-case) mounted e-brake I had to try something different to accomodate the disc brake rotor. I now run a Trail Tough Mighty Kong that I have added to, to cover the rotor. Brent has told me (after I 'customizrd' the 'Kong) that he now has a full plate that allows for the rotor.

And for the gas tank...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see these 5" and 6" spoa kits, like the Rocky Road kits. What size tire can you run on them? Are they considered the entry level kits? These kits are a lot less in price than those you recomended, does that mean that they are a cheaper quality?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I see these 5" and 6" spoa kits, like the Rocky Road kits. What size tire can you run on them? Are they considered the entry level kits? These kits are a lot less in price than those you recomended, does that mean that they are a cheaper quality?
When going taller than a SPOA, it is cleaner (safer) to go with taller springs. To go cheaper, some use stock springs and make the perches taller. What's worse, is some folks also sacrifice attention to detail... bad combination.

Remember that going bigger than 33's will take a stronger axle. Why skimp on springs at that point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts