Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a spoiler off a pontiac sunfire in the junk yard due to it small size .curve similar angle at least closer than others and color match but I did not completely account for the wiper assembly height but that ok because I already knew beforehand that some modifying to anything I get would be necessary just this way I just saved some dough prior to modding it to fit

my question is ths what sould i use to build it up the 2 inches that I need to clear the wiper post other wise I got to notch this beautiful cresent shaped blade for a wiper Ill use twice a year (arizona yeah but its a dry heat hack hack ack.....)
I need to make three
at first I thought of AL but too thin
I know how to make the styro for a mock up
but lost on the next step
thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok heres what Ive started
cut styrofoam to shape started to fiberglass the foam for the middle peice oops forgot to coat it with something to take the heat from curing. so went to bondo. man I love bondo now this stuff is so cool you can make it like hard plastic or rubbery very cool stuff. dont know really what the proper mix is yet but with each skim I am getting a good idea of consistancy.
after I get these how I want them I will glass em once for extra durability them cover them with aluminum flashing. hoping to get them to look like the inserts in our steering wheel. and I finally found some brackets that will work.
spent so much time troubleshooting the cruise control install that this was put on hold. dont have much time to do these things since Im at work about 13 hours a day 5-6 days a week sometimes they dont call me in on my scheduled days off and only have to work 4 of those days.
will post progress when there is any more right now just foam blocks with bondo. hope some one will see the end results and be envious lots of thought went into this. and hope its not going to be like hehe that a sunfire spoile on a reno. cause once this is mounted there is no going back. oh and by the way I also got suction cups that willl screw in so I can set it on the car and look at it to see if it looks ok or not before I do any drilling.

gave anthonymna the other spoiler he just needs take 100 grit to the rubber and I also threw in some of that black bumper paint stuff so look for his if he decides to use it since it needs some modification too hell all spoilers reqiure some mod to put on.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would have probably used 1/8 inch aluminum. figure out the angles that you would like the spoiler at and cut the aluminum to match and draw the angles on the aluminum, drill the holes you would use to mount on both sides and then bend the alum. on your marks and mount to the spoiler and to the car and done. can still paint the aluminum and screws to match the car or leave it. I would use stainless steel allen wrench srews or something that wont rust.

Sounds like quite the project, I use to have a Sunfire and like that spoiler and Post pics when you are finished.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea aluminum is the majority of the project. but I needed to match the shape of the stock pedestals and just extend them out. thats why I got styro and bondo/fiberglassed it. they're just filler really because the bolt extenders are strong enough and when I give the last coat of glass. I am going to wrap it with aluminum. got all the parts/supplies just lack time. and people complain about the smell when I epoxy at night. ha people I should just say wife and sometimes neighbor comments occasionaly on my projects during the night because the spotlights turn back yard into daylight

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok I was driving next to a sunfire today and was looking at the way the spoiler sat. and realized that its more or less flush to the window. i already knew this but it made sense why its not looking right the stock pedestals are very big and wide. but with it being flush in front this is a non issue. when I took styrofoam and covered in bondo and fiberglass it just looked as unaerodynamic as a brick. so I may scuttle this approach might see if I can cantilever it on so the front can be flush to the trunk. all this because of that wiper otherwise it would fit with no modification argh...

I am on a new work schedule with more daytime free to work on this so instead of 30 min at a time once a week I might be able to address this spoiler and how to make it look like it belongs.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes I am scaping the pedastal after a few weekends of work, a hands on education in bondo and fiberglass, metal forming and riveting, it just looks wrong. that two inches that its built up makes for one hell of a beefy pedastal. as much as I tried to taper it down it just looks too big. and yes I liked the look with it wraped in aluminum but just putting it on the car to look at fit was just a sinking in the stomach feeling.
it just does not look right with those wide pedestals it looked like I would be getting sooooooo much wind resistance from the pedastals that actual spoiler would not be of any benefit
argh
so square one kinda. I might tap out the bolts and remount new ones in a different spot
this kind of spoiler is like whale taile ones not like the wings its ment to be very close to the car and wind flowing down and over it effectively pushing the rear down.
so I need to either flush mount it, cantilever it somehow, or start looking again for a easier fit. such a small platform to place one on.
but in the scheme of things I spent more on supplies for the pedestal than the wing itself so if I get rid of it no loss.
might fit on a forenza but I dont beleive te curve would look good on a forenza

1 - 6 of 6 Posts