Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Ignis. Have not been able to get clear information on what oil to use (want to change my oil).
Should I use synthetic or normal?
Someone suggested Helix 5W-40 but 5 L is $100 here (NZ). About 3 times the cost of other oils. Could I get away with using Helix 10W-40?
Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A 10W40 will work fine.

BUT the engine has a timing chain that needs to be lubricated very well and (usually) by a full synthetic oil like the 5W40 you mentioned.

Personally, I wouldn't try to save money on engine oil...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got Shell Helix H7 10W40 in mine.
I dont like to put in fully synth in older cars with higher milage.
Japanese engines of those days are capable of very high milages.
The 1.3 petrol 83 hp is one of the best ever made, same as Jimny thats enough said.
Fully synth seems to me overkill. Semi synth from a good brand, will work fine. Change every year if u dont do much miles.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Helix 10W-40 will be fine, as would the castrol GTX, just change it every 6 months or 5000 kms and do a filter every second oil change.

just remember, round town driving is a "severe" use designation, unless you do lots of open road trips, 5k oil changes are cheap insurance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I change after about 7500km, with all my petrol cars on semi synth. Oil always looks goldenbrown. I always change filter.
I do 50/50 city - highway.
Our Opel Zafira diesel does 22000km with his Mobil 1 dexos 2 before indicator says to change. Oil is immediatly black.
I know thats the way in modern engines, but cant be good. I do this myself too, because dealers ask about 5 times as much. But even simple oilchange with filter is pain in a...
The ignis takes about 15 minutes, Zafira more than one hour, without lift filter is a disaster to acces.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts