Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is leaking a little, so I went shopping, $250-$300 for the pressure line. I was expecting more like $80.

What is going on here?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Mine is leaking a little, so I went shopping, $250-$300 for the pressure line. I was expecting more like $80.

What is going on here?
try buying any pressure line designed to work at the pressures in power steering and you will pay, the hose itself is relatively cheap, its a standard hydraulic high pressure hose, the fittings and crimping are where the cost is. I got a 1/2" line 5 feet long with standard screw on fittings made last week, $220 (NZ dollars) each fitting was $45

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
I have encountered the high priced power steering hose issue before.
The way I got around it was a lot of research finding what ends are on the hose and finding a hose with what was needed.
Instead of $120 something, it was about $30 bucks.

It might not have the same bends as the factory hose, just make sure it will be long enough to fit how you need it.
Amazon is an easy place to search for hoses, pictures help a lot.

Shoot I get generic hydraulic hoses for a tractor rated at 4,000lbs for $30 - $40 bucks.

Another way but not as clean a job are high pressure ferrule fittings
LINK HERE to one example. If the closest hose you can find has one wrong fitting just replace it with what you need. DO NOT USE fittings that are not rated for less than 2,000 lbs.

You can also Google compression tube fittings.
There is no way I would pay that much for a hose, who are they trying to kid.

Don

^_^

·
Registered
811 Posts

What is going on here?
I was equally shocked when I went looking myself, oddly enough getting one locally at an autoparts store at $160 was the cheap route, I looked up one for a 2000 Honda Civic and it was about the same length and only like $87.

It could be supply and demand in that the Suzuki Esteem has always been a fairly rare car, I'm finding more and more that there are parts for it that you just cannot get unless you really search around for them online.

Although there is more to this story... the high pressure hose going from the pump to the rack costing me twice as much as it should is one of the reasons that my 2002 Esteem is going to the junk yard soon.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I called a hydraulic supply store I have dealt with in the past and they can make one for you for a lot less. Providing all goes well, it should be in the $65-75 dollar range and that is in Canadian dollars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts