Suzuki Forums banner

What is under this dash cover?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  BlackOutGaming 
#1 ·
I was curious if anyone knew what was under this cover on the dash? I see there's a screw, but what is underneath that?

I'd like to know if I could drill a hole and run a coax and power cable through there for 2m radio that I am mounting on top of the dash, but I don't want to drill into HVAC vents or anything. If that doesn't work I'll just run them along the bottom of the windshield and down to the kick panel or down the front of the dash beside the radio.

I would look myself but it has been in the 20s here in Iowa without the windchill so I'm trying to stay inside.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Another post in the same thread states that the bracing under the dash is different from early and late. I suspect this change happened with the dash redesign with the 1996 model year change.

That said, from looking at my 1989, (dash removed) there _IS_ a small "fist" size space in the defrost ducting below that center dash mounting screw. (The defrost duct "Y's" at that point.) BUT it would be rather hard to access that space for cable routing with the dash, ducting and heater installed.

I might install a power jack or at least an empty conduit at that point before reinstalling the dash.... when (if) I get to that point.

#6 ·
I think that I'm going to just run the wires along the bottom of the windshield, using zip ties on the defrost vents to secure them. I'd rather have a couple of unsightly wires than hack my dash apart, especially if it ends up not working out anyway. Thanks for the input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.