Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I just got the radiator and shroud out. I noticed a plug sort of tucked out of view behind the thermostat. When I pulled it out, I could see that it appears to belong to this thing on the right, which is also blue. What is this, and why would someone disconnect it? Like is disconnecting it a way of cheating the car to act a different way, or run better (indicating a different problem altogether), or of course could it possibly have just been overlooked and forgot to plug it back in. disconnectedplug.jpg

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
There are two Vacuum switching valves on the front of the engine of your Throttle body injected model. The one with the brown wire should be the one with the vacuum line going to the throttle opener on your throttle body. The one with the blue wire should be connected to the VSV that goes to the Sub EGR valve. On california models and models with california compliant smog systems, the EGR valve has a small diaphragm on the bottom called the sub EGR valve. It can be over-ridden by the ECU when the high altitude compesator is on, or when the low coolant temp is on and you'r in 5th gear. It's possible that the sub EGR or the EGR was malfunctioning so they disconnected it. It's also possible that there was a problem with the Air pressure altitude sensor or the 5th gear switch that was causing the EGR to malfunction so they disconnected it. Some people feel the EGR robs power so they unhook it or remove it. It doesn't rob power and is actually essential to keep the engine's combustion temperature at the correct level to prevent poor fuel burn, and high NOx emissions.

or that could be some other connector that I'm completely unaware of. I don't have a TBI so I'm just going off the manual here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts