Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just bought a 2006 GV with the 1.6 petrol engine. It appears there is a lever on the transfer case with seemingly two different possible fixad positions (bolted down).

Does anyone know if the second position possibly provides low range?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Low range in a '06 1.6l ?:unsure:
As far as i know 3G (MY '06 - end) 1.6l are always SWB and always without a low range mode. I don't believe that there are low range gears in the gearbox...
2.0l, 2,7l and 3,2l are always LWB with low range mode, Diesel and 2.4l are always sold as SWB and LWB, both with low range.
Please correct me...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Low range in a '06 1.6l ?:unsure:
As far as i know 3G (MY '06 - end) 1.6l are always SWB and always without a low range mode. I don't believe that there are low range gears in the gearbox...
2.0l, 2,7l and 3,2l are always LWB with low range mode, Diesel and 2.4l are always sold as SWB and LWB, both with low range.
Please correct me...
That is the info I have as well. I am just curious as to if there is actually low range gears inside seing as the cover is fitted with this lever. It would be interesting for me if I would be able to reset this to a permanent low range...

·
Super Moderator
19,040 Posts
This appears to be what you are referring to. Can't help in regards to applicability in your case though.

Reference:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This appears to be what you are referring to. Can't help in regards to applicability in your case though.

View attachment 95414

Reference:
Nice exploded view! It just seems strange that they would bother to fit this assembly instead of just a simple cover if there is nothing on the inside for the lever to position...

·
Super Moderator
19,040 Posts
You've piqued MY curiosity. :unsure:

I have a feeling that it is functional, just not able to be actuated via remote operation. IF that is the case, not sure why.

·
Super Moderator
19,040 Posts
Still curious and searching about...THIS may be what a remotely operable transfer case looks like! :) (w/electronics)

Pretty cool. Your cover plugs are removed for use by the positioning switches in this version.

·
Super Moderator
19,040 Posts
Also, why have a position locking device (verses a blank cover plate) IF there is nothing to manipulate beneath! I think yours is functional within. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also, why have a position locking device (verses a blank cover plate) IF there is nothing to manipulate beneath! I think yours is functional within. ;)
Discovery 2 had something like this in their centre diffs for a few years. Some models had lockable centre diffs, but without the linkage to the cabin. It was possible to retrofit a centre diff lock lever to them.

Then LR removed the capacity to lock the centre diffs altogether, and a few years later brought back the centre diff locks, with the lever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
There will be a reason for it, those sneaky suzuki guys don't put functions there that aren't designed for a purpose. I suspect its all explained in the manual if you read the preceding or following pages from the one Darrell posted.

·
Super Moderator
19,040 Posts
Apparently some function exists, but is locked out in thus certain engine / model application such as the one in discussion here.

Easier / more cost effective than reinventing a non-operable low range-less transfer case for a minimally produced application. ;)

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
more than likely this is on the AWD models with no low range. You may also find the case has no low range internals, just the centre diff lock sleeve.

·
Administrator
16,161 Posts
The transfer case with the locked out lever is used on the "single mode 4WD" models - looking at the parts catalog it's missing the low range "countershaft", along with other parts, which are fitted to the "four mode 4WD" cases, so, no, there is no low range functionality.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
The transfer case with the locked out lever is used on the "single mode 4WD" models - looking at the parts catalog it's missing the low range "countershaft", along with other parts, which are fitted to the "four mode 4WD" cases, so, no, there is no low range functionality.
Thought that might be the case. Hmmm, Its almost worth designing a transfer lever to have 4HL ability, damn useful on a slippery surface like wet grass. does that unit have an LSD (Torsen) for the centre diff or is it open ? if its a Torsen, its not worth it tho

·
Administrator
16,161 Posts
It does have an LSD, the parts manual doesn't say what type, but I don't think Torsens were ever used - it was some sort of sliding cam & pawl setup.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Interesting, the diagrams I have show a torsen style setup. I always thought the JB series without ESP had a "Torque Induction" LSD, which to me is a Torsen style. The ESP equipped have an open diff. Maybe I'm wrong on the Torsen bit. Never needed to have one apart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I wanted to install a transfer case with low range, would one from the 2.0L 2.4L petrol fit?

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
probably not, I think they have different spline and mounting bolt patterns. The 2.0 and 2.4's I think are the same, but i'm suspicious the 1.6's are different. Not that common here but I'm sure Fordem or Darrell will be able to help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts