Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It lights up any time that I have some weight in the passenger seat. I assume there is a safety in place that checks the weight of the passenger to determine if someone is sitting there, and if the weight is not great enough to warrant airbag deployment (child).

I understand the reason for the car to OPERATE that way, but what I don't understand is why it must DISPLAY this light? Sometimes it flashes, and sometimes it stays on solid, but I don't believe mine is defective (as I have heard some are) as it only illuminates when there is some weight in the passenger seat (say, groceries).

Let me outline a scenario. I'm driving in a snowstorm. Limited visibility. It's dark. Headlights trying to shine through the over-sized flakes. Visibility is too poor to go fast but I'm concentrating to keep on the road at the speeds I'm able. SUDDENLY SOMETHING LIGHTS UP ON THE DASH. WHAT WAS THAT? I take my eyes off the road to read... passenger airbag off.

What could I possibly do with that information? Again, I understand why the airbag might shut off for safety. Why do I have to know about it with a giant flashing light on my dash? How is that in any way helpful to me? I'm giving serious thought to spray painting over that section of the indicator so that I'm no longer distracted by this thing at night.

·
Administrator
16,304 Posts
Let me outline a scenario - you have your significant other in the passenger seat, in broad daylight - do you want to be able to see that "passenger airbag off" light - if it does in fact, come on?

Let's look at it from the manufacturers point of view - which scenario is likely to cost them more in legal fees?

You know there is a very simple solution to this problem - don't put anything on the front passenger seat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's irrelevant information either way. There is nothing I can DO in response to the light coming on. If it's checking the weight of my passenger and operating correctly, autonomously, without my input, then I have no need to be distracted by it. If a system is actually BROKEN and needs service, then it should come up as a rare-occasion idiot light on the instrument cluster, not a giant, frequent, and irrelevant distraction front and center on my dash.

·
Administrator
16,304 Posts
Let's get back to my first scenario - your significant other in the passenger seat - would you consider a non functional air bag warning to be an irrelevant distraction?

Let's reverse the situation and put you in the passenger seat, and the vehicle operator (who I'm going to assume is not your significant other) can see that "smaller, but equally distracting" idiot light, in the dash cluster and has chosen to ignore it - would you prefer a light that you can see - bearing in mind, it is your life & limb now at risk?

The relevance of the warning changes based on what is in the passenger seat - if the light bothers you - just don't put anything on the passenger seat, it won't come on.

By the way - you might want to check with your state laws BEFORE you paint that indicator - it IS an offense in most states to tamper with the Supplemental Restraint System, and should someone be injured in your car, as a result of the air bag failing, you can be held responsible, even if all you did was conceal the indicator - your insurance will not cover you.

·
Registered
996 Posts
L...The relevance of the warning changes based on what is in the passenger seat...- just don't put anything on the passenger seat, it won't come on..
TOtally correct....and this is the case with mine.

The problem for the recall is just the oppposite: light never flashes.

SUMMARY:
Suzuki Motor of America, Inc. (Suzuki) is recalling certain model year 2006-2011 Grand Vitara and 2007-2011 SX4 vehicles. In the affected vehicles, over time, the OCS sensor mat installed in the front passenger seat may fail due to repeated flexing of the mat from use of the seat. As a result, during a crash necessitating deployment, the air bag will deploy regardless of whether the front seat occupant is an adult or a child.
CONSEQUENCE:
Air bag deployment with a child in the front passenger side seat increases the risk of injury to that child.
REMEDY:
Suzuki will notify owners and dealers will replace the front passenger seat cushion assembly (which includes the OCS sensor mat) free of charge. Sufficient quantities of parts are not currently available to fix all of the affected vehicles. Owners will be notified of the recall in October 2013 and will receive a second notification when parts are available to have their vehicle repaired. Owners may contact Suzuki at 1-800-934-0934. Suzuki's recall campaign number is VD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts