Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a '86 model suzuki sierra, its started making these wierd popping noises when it goes above about 50-60 km/h or the revs are high. It makes these popping noises and cuts acceleration, kinda stuttering, then it will go back to normal. Its started doing it increasingly lately. Its been suggested to clean out the carby, but Im not even sure how to do that!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If I am right, it might be your timing that could be out. I think it is too fast, so when the revs are high, the timing advances, and the air/fuel mixture is ignited before the intake valve closes. This then causes the popping noise from your carburettor. Loosen the screw on the distributor and turn it anti-clockwise(i think). You will hear that it will start to idle lower. Turn it until the engine runs smoothly. If you can, buy a strobe light to set the timing if you don't have one.

Cleaning the carb might also work. Buy a can of carb cleaner from your local parts store, and spray that on the carb and inside the carb while you rev it. (You can read the instructions on the can.)

While you are busy, check the points gap as well. The points are located inside the distributor. Also buy a new condenser if you decide to change the points. (Also consider changing the spark plugs if you haven't serviced it recently)

If you get all of this right, it might be going like mad again! Hope you find the troublemaker!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts