Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was poking about on hulu and found four wheeler tv and the ultimate adventure from back in 05. There is a beat up sammy on it and I was wondering what the guys name is and what is in his rig... axles, tires, trany, engine, trans case...
Anyone know? They really don't show it enough to tell much.
If you need the link-
Hulu - Four Wheeler TV: Ultimate Adventure, Part 1 - Watch the full episode now.
thanks-

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I am at work right now, so i can't go through the video, but if my memory serves me right that would be the 'Father of Suzuki Offroad' Tim Hardy. He is known for being the first Samurai to not only compete, but to win Four Wheeler Magazines Top Truck Challenge - and he did it pulling a TRAILER!

He is known for showing us the first 'virtual lift' by fitting 35" tires on a Sammy by cutting and moving the wheel openings up higher on the body line. He has also been known to 'cut' his own gears in his shop at home using a standard cutoff wheel. He is also the one that first used a gear reduction driveshaft made from a forklift unit to drop his gear ratio from the tranny to the transfer case...

I met him back in 2000. Great guy with lots of expertise. I talked with him for about 30 minutes before I realized who he was (not the kind of guy to brag about his experiance). He is not a 'computer oriented' kind of person though, so you never see him online.

He also ran that rig in the 2006 ultimate adventure. Here is a link to the rig profile:
1988 Suzuki Samurai - Tim Hardy Profile - 2006 Ultimate Adventure - 4-Wheel & Off-Road Magazine
Believe it or not, THAT sammy started out as his wifes rig.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
For those that don't want to click through to the article:

Vehicle: Suzuki Samurai

Year:1988

Tires/Wheels:35-inch BFG Krawlers/15-inch aluminum American Racing

Steering:Toyota steering box, S-link

Front suspension:Rear leaf springs, shackle reversal, 3 1/2-inch frame extension, narrowed track, moved 1 1/2 inches forward

Rear suspension:Quarter-eliptic leaves, moved 1 1/2 inches forward

Front drivetrain:Stock housing, EZ Locker, 5.12 gears, LAC Birfields, Dutchman inner axles, Hardy-made 26-spline outer shafts

Rear drivetrain:Sidekick centersection, EZ Locker with Ford side gears, 31-spline Ford axles

Driveshafts:Custom 82AC Birfield with chromoly shaft

Tranny:Stock five-speed

Transfer case(s)/ratio(s)/other mods:4:1 Hardy-made

Engine/Mods:1.3L, match-ported carb, intake, and head

Bumpers/rails/rollcage:1 1/2- and 2-inch 0.120-wall tube

Winch:Warn 5000

·
Registered
201 Posts
it has always been fun to atch through the mags to see tim hardy in the ultimate adventure, because i have never seen him in anything but a zuk. and some have been WELL worn vehicles.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks- Got it- Tim Hardy
I thought maybe it was him but they never said his name and I've never seen him.
Love his body work.

If you haven't seen it it's a decent way to spend a few minutes.
I think there are 4 parts and the sammy is in each one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts