Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

A very good friend of mine purchased this 87 Samurai a few years ago as is, with all the parts less the tires which he added. He had the motor worked over and it runs great. Well I couldn’t pass up on the deal and it’s now at my place.

I dont know much about the car but I can see there is a good amount of aftermarket equipment installed:
-rear locker installed?
  • front and rear bumper
  • winch
  • skid plate?
  • is this motor original? How can I check
I’m wondering if you guys can help me disect what I have here and what the original owner modified. So I know where im at baseline wise. Let me know what other photos might be helpful.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,216 Posts
Give me the VIN and I should be able to get you the engine number that was originally fitted.

That's a very nicely equipped vehicle and the modifications appear to have been done to a very high standard of work - it looks like you have ARB front & rear bumpers along with an air locker, which I can't see enough of to say whether it's genuine of a chinese knock off, I don't recognize the roll bar, transfer case skid or the seats, but they are aftermarket, the rear axle picture is too dark for me to see anything, the a/c system is missing some connections.

The engine is an 8v Suzuki G-series, could be either a 1.3 or a 1.6, can't tell from that picture (find the engine number and you'll know), and has a Doug Thorley header fitted.

On the interior - I'm not a fan of Grant steering wheels (Momo are so much nicer and the hubs collapse on impact), and those Low Range aluminum shift knobs - they get hot enough in the summer to give you a nasty burn and leave a brand in your palm.

Nice score...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info and your response!!! Very much appreciated. It’s a unique car for sure, and I can tell that someone at some point really gave her some attention. I will DM you my VIN.

Here are some additional Photos of the drive shaft area, does this help? None of this stuff really looks like factory parts to me

Attachments

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
looks like someones actually done it properly, nice wee truck.
I do agree with Fordem, ditch those stupid metal shift knobs, or wear asbestos gloves.
There are some nice "different" knobs out there if you want to make a statement. I had one I fitted to the 4H knob on a landrover once that had a light in it that lit up when it was in 4H so you knew it was in it as it was all too easy to forget. In those days, there were 3 lights on the dash, oil, charge and the backlight in the gauges.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!! Funny I haven’t heard the Momo brand in a long time. I think they make shift knobs too if I recall. Will any standard size work?

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
should be standard knobs, unscrew one and head to your local parts store, they usually have 8 balls and other knobs on display (well, we do here anyway)

·
Super Moderator
13,216 Posts
If I recall correctly it's a 12mm x 1.25 thread - most replacement knobs use a plastic insert so that they can fit most vehicles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man I love this Samurai! I find myself driving it more and more haha.

Since the last update I was able to pickup a few extra parts he had from the original purchase. I’ll send more photos of what’s in the goodie box but most noteable was the back seat which looks custom made with lockable storage. Although I think I prefer the open space without the seats for function

I’m planning on getting the samurai out on some trails and I want to make sure that the suspension is sorted. Here are some pictures, I’m hoping that one of you gurus can help id of anything that is wonky or not up to par. I’ll take whatever pictures that you think would be helpful. Looks like a lift has already been done based on what I see and the bigger tires obliviously that needed them.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts