Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have my trusty SWB sammi, served me well, but now gettign a bit like hard work, the old 1324 is dying, and the bodywork is slowly rotting away.

View attachment 5912

So, a couple of years ago, I came across this sat in a field, shortly after I had secured it and dragged it kicking and screaming to my workshop.

View attachment 5913

A good base, but it needed some careful modifications to make it ME proof. So I cut it up. Soon it became this.

View attachment 5914

I had decided on a truck cab layout with a flatbed back end, so I cut the LWB shell in half, and welded on the last 2 inches off the back end to make a king-cab style setup.

View attachment 5915
View attachment 5916
View attachment 5917
View attachment 5918
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
While I was doing that, I was considering Engine choice. The 1300 was low on power, thirsty on fuel, and really didn't have the zing I wanted. Being stuck on a rock with 80 thousand people, the choices for donors was not good, I ended up going with the 1600 Vitara (Tracker?) 16v MPFI motor, which took some tracking down.

I really wanted the V6 but those are not ready for the scrap heap over here yet.

Anyway, I finally got the motor last years, btu time and money stopped the project. Due to fuel prices I cannot afford to run my Sammi in its current state, so the project is back online.

So, I got this donor 16v, but it had already been pillaged for the tank, dash and a lump of the wiring, but the motor, attachments and ECU were still in it.

I had made an adaptor some months earlier based on a swift GLX block, so that was all ready to go (and I am sure there have been many 16v conversions, so I won't bore you with the details).

Instead, I will fast forward to the now bit. After blowing up my ECU by attempting to go it alone with the wiring, I sourced a replacement off Ebay and after nearly blowing R881 AGAIN, I managed a code 12 and the engine runs.

Current state of place is I have a rolling chassis,and a body tub.

View attachment 5921
View attachment 5919

The back end of the chassis is now starting to take shape, that is a braced axle with a rear disc conversion, and a limited slip differential.

View attachment 5920

The fuel tank is from a 1995 V6 Vitara LWB (70 litres) so up from 8.8 UK gallons to over 15 will give me better range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next steps.

I have got a spare radiator in place (modified the mounting arms to clear the P/S pump and P/S box on each side) so just waiting to find some SJ hoses now. This will allow me to run the motor for more than a couple of seconds at a time - BIG bonus ;)

I have plumbed in the new back axle, so just need to run fuel and brake lines past where the body tub will sit, then I can sit the tub on top and start mounting the ECU and wiring it all up.

Then is is a case of finishing the exhaust (gonna be a pain to get past that big fat fuel tank), Finishing the front end panels, bolting them on, filling, priming, painting the outside, bish bash bosh, jobe done......sort of.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top