Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new to the hobby, but bought a 95 Geo Tracker a few months ago. When I bought it, the previous owner said the owner previous to him had swapped the engine "for the bigger one". I said great, assumed it was the next engine up (didn't research), and it ran and drove decent for a great price. So fast forward, did an oil change and the filter for the stock 95 fit fine, and I proceeded to forget about the swap. Now I have tried to replace the thermostat, but the thermostat from the auto parts store is very different than the one in it. We I returned the part but they could not find the right one (even took me to the back and we opened all the boxes). See the attached photos, any idea what engine was installed?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,252 Posts
The engine shown in the fourth & sixth pictures appears to be a 1.6 16v engine - find the engine number which should be stamped along the edge of the block alongside the bellhousing, I believe on the driver's side - it should look something like G16A-012345 or G16B-098765 - if we get that, we may be able to provide more information.

·
Super Moderator
23,728 Posts
There are two different thermostats for these cars - and early one that uses a paper gasket, and a later one, where there is a the well in the thermostat housing indicates a rubber gasket. As Fordem says, your engine looks like the 16v engine - you have the 16v air filter set up, as well as the plugs coming straight up rather than tilted. While giving the info that Fordem is asking for is very helpful, also understand that Geo Tracker is no longer really supported - you are driving a rebadged Suzuki Sidekick, and will find far more accurate parts for your car if you advise that you are driving a 1995, 16v Suzuki sidekick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts