Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
It was bitter cold in Montreal yesterday, had a devil of a time getting it out of it's parking space because of ice. After setting off for a 180 km. journey I found out the wipers were not working. Fortunately the roads were dry because of the cold, so their was little use for them.

My usual mechanic was not available so I called the dealership, hoping that they would know what fuse it was should that be the issue.
Well fortunately they could see me at 2 PM.

Well when they removed the cover of the linkage they found the linkage encased in ice, the drainage holes were plugged. Lots of hot water did the trick. This was the first they saw a case like this.

Left Sherbrooke Suzuki a happy owner with a small invoice, paid.

Share with other your experience with your Esteem here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Haven't done anything today but last week I put in 2 new coil packs, new wires, new boots and new spark plugs. Really the only problem was with the right coil pack but I figured I'd go ahead and swap everything out. Everything together was under $100 and now I know everything there is good to go. Most importantly, my car no longer sputters-- wohooo!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have been spending a lot of time screwing around with an isuzu rodeo I got to replace my tracker (RIP). Since my beloved esteem is now finally closing in on 100k miles (and im laid off for the next 2 months) just finished replacing both drive axles, tie rod ends, fresh sparkplugs, oil, and jerry rigged my rusty fuel neck (no more p0440!). Next up is to find where my exhaust is leaking its loud as F atm lol.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to the dealership to get a second opinion on oil usage.
They said I required valve cover gasket, crank seal, 6 grommets,reseal timing chain cover, valve guide seals, R.H. transmission seal.
They said that a special tool is required to change the valve guide seals, a dealer only tool. How can this be?
Car has 317k km. a 2000 GLX wagon with a 1.8L

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to the mechanic with the crank and R.H transmission seal this Friday past. He removes the transmission seal and it is not the same as the new one I'd purchased! We call around and the Suzuki dealership has two in stock. Drive the 35 min. to the dealership and it is not the same as the old one. The dealership got the number off the old seal and calls NAPA, they can get it, their part # 18894. The # off the seal is "AH8146E". They can deliver it for this coming Wednesday. The mechanic put the old seal back in and it appears to be holding up after the return drive and 360 other mi. put on it since. The mechanic said that the transmission seals on all cars has a forty percent chance of being incorrect from the part store. Crank seals are always correct, but not trans. seals.

The last stainless steal flex pipe lasted under a year. He put in a double flange with a metal doughnut, held together with bolts and springs off a 1999-2000 Honda Civic, just in front of the rear rear muffler. So far it sounds much better, good enough for stealth mode.

Now to fix the A/C(fixed last spring with a new condenser), noisy windshield, crank seal, rust on the inner of the rear doors etc.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A small leak in the A/C compressor. It was unplugged, so the tech connected the plug and refilled it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday my tech tried to install the transmission seal, again the wrong part.
He changed the crank seal and that was the correct part.
He changed the battery terminal clamps, the original ones had stretched. They were the cause of a no-start, and a stall in the past year, I thought screwing in a small bolt to the clamp would add tension to the clamp, it didn't work, corrosion was in it, hence the stall. I ordered these from ebay and am very pleased. The car is running much better now, just better ignition.

2pcs New Car Battery Terminals 1 Pos. & 1 Neg. Clamps Post Connectors Golden | eBay

I checked the windshield for leaks by blowing compressed air from the inside while pouring soapy water on the outside.......lots of leaks. It looks as if the glass is becoming unlaminated(if that is a word), we'll see.

The to do list is slowly getting ticked off....along with the owner.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I had to replace my radiator fan assembly last week, it died with no warning and right when I was stuck in a major traffic jam and the engine nearly overheated before I noticed it, RockAuto had it cheaper than Autozone.

Checked my back brakes a few days ago because they were squealing when ever I hit the brake pedal, turns out they are fine just caked with a lot of road grit, I'll blast them out with "Brake Clean" next time I go to the store I'll get some.

And a few weeks ago my odometer rolled "345678" miles and I took a picture of it, it doesn't have far to go now before it hits "350000" miles, I never expected the car to last this long.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad to hear Jim of the mileage you've attained on your Esteem, super.

I heard of a home nurse in Barrie Ontario, she had 650,000 km (403,891 mi.)on her Esteem, she wanted a change and bought another Suzuki. Not certain of the motor.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well my mechanic installed the used windshield today(takes two tubes of urethane). Went smoothly, POR15 the flange as there was rust. Just drove home with it and it is super, no specks from sand, and very clear. My old windshield had lamination issues leaked and was noisy at highway speeds. This is a real joy, and it is from a car in a salvage yard with only 80,000 km (49,000 mi).
I bought the two rear passenger doors, and they were installed also, a bit of work transferring the electric locks and power regulators.
The hood on the car was in much better shape than mine, less stone chips so we pulled that also. I had my old hood resprayed two years ago.
The car was a '99, and the same colour as mine, silver, so it was far less that dealing with the rust on my old doors which was starting on the inner sides.
Parts were from a u-pull yard so very reasonable.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I had to replace the front brakes today on my 2002 1.8 Esteem this weekend...

The driver's side was fine but the passenger side was clear down to the metal plates and made a loud scraping sound when I braked hard, it didn't damage the rotors any but both calipers are going to be replaced as well but for now I just needed the car safe to drive again.

The car is nearly at 348,000 miles now and I believe that these are the original factory calipers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
August '17 update

Got around to some more maintenance of the zuki this week. Got 4 new tires put on, picked up some inner tie rods (waiting to put in before I get alingnment). Also had developed a weird vibration between 25-30 while accelerating, both axles are new so felt around and found a ton of slop at the jackshaft on pass side so swapped it out with a junkyard part (wagon one is diff from sedan oddly) and Bingo smooth as butter again.

Also clamped down rattly manifold heatshield and found my damn front brake pins all seized up again! What is the best grease to use on these? I already put in a new set of boots on these.

Just crossed the 120k miles mark and hoping to get her to 300 :cool:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
What is the best grease to use on these?
This was highly recommended on a forum, believe it to be the Camry forum.
Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant, 4 oz.

I ordered some this summer from ebay and had it smeared on. The red clear grease that was used last year had already failed.
Congrats on the mileage, it should easily do that. Jim Nasium here is up to a odometer reading.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My mechanic changed the two shift solenoids(easy-peasy), we were not certain which was the A or #1on the transmission,now the trans can shift into high gear.

It was difficult finding them, the dealer said out of stock $300 + for one, and the yard only had standard transmissions.

So after 3 weeks of issue P0751 it is gone, woot woot!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Saturday past changed the rear brake slave cylinders, short brake lines, brake hardware, brake shoes and handbrake cables on both sides.

Also changed the rear stabilizer links, silence once more has returned to the cabin, no more squeaky/grunting sound after each bump.

·
Registered
811 Posts
This was highly recommended on a forum, believe it to be the Camry forum.
Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant, 4 oz.

I ordered some this summer from ebay and had it smeared on. The red clear grease that was used last year had already failed.
Congrats on the mileage, it should easily do that. Jim Nasium here is up to a odometer reading.
My 2002 1.8 Esteem just rolled 366,000 miles on the odometer last week with the original engine and transmission.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Made an appointment to have the front end straightened out. Someone drove me off the road this past January. Front crossmember was bent, and some other tugging may be necessary. We'll see Monday.

Got the not going into third gear issue sorted out, now it does in the automatic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
New starter...and now no ac...

well, i didn't do it myself, but i paid what seems like a surprisingly large sum (plus 2.75 hours of labor) for a new starter.

Guess I will be keeping my 2001 wagon on the road awhile longer...only 179,000 miles so far...

Actually, I do have a question - I left it in the shop with fully functional ac, but mechanic said he was trying to do me a favor for my patience in leaving the car with him for an extra day, & tried to charge the ac - and now it needs something called a POA valve. No ac here in Virginia is really not ideal.

Any ideas of what could have happened to it? And is this an expensive repair?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts