Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about done with the Sami AC, Putting in a replacement engine (16v) and will slide it in with the compressor in place, the rest of the system installed while the interior was gutted. I am interested in knowing who is using what for refrigerant and how its working in what sort of climate. Also interested in any modifications to said AC system.

I know 134 is pretty inefficient for such a small system but have heard of some using it. R12 is pretty great but so expensive and tricky to get. I had intended to use LP in spite of the heated (no pun intended) controversy r/t its flammability. Now leaning towards a drop in R12 replacement or Difluoroethane. I'm hoping for a pretty effective AC system, but my expectations are minimal.

My heater box is clean, I plan to find an upgraded heater blower motor to really move some air, more on that when I find a fit. I stripped the inside of the vehicle and removed the glop in bedliner to bare metal. Dynamat over all floor, inside the front and rear kick panels, inside doors/tailgate and up to the top of the firewall with a few full carpet kit and new top.

So who has an AC they are happy with, how did you arrive at this point and what did you juice it up with?

I realize its the end of the season but I'm rolling this into a daily driver/toad vehicle so I need to get it sorted correctly before winter sets in.

Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
IMO, 134a works well when the system is designed for it. Usually it sucks when used in an R12 system because the evaporator/condenser isn't as high density and R12 hoses and seals will not contain 134a over the long term.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was not even going to try the 134. Did the conversion in my F250, it went from working ok, to working ok if no warmer than 80. Never used the stuff after that except where the system was designed for it.

I'm almost certainly going with dust-off as soon as I find which oil it is compatible with. The engine is going in tonight or tomorrow along with the AC compressor so hoping I can give it a try in the next couple days.

I have been trying to find time to get the engine out of this sidekick but the demand for sidekick parts has been keeping me busy with that instead of ripping out the engine which is why I bought it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip and link. I see real R12 is still pretty spendy but much more reasonable than last time I looked. It seems like the prefered juice to use in this application.

Thanks!

Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts