Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I just bought a 95 4x4 16v automatic tracker with hardtop. I fixed the leaks in the hardtop windows and pulled the carpet to let it dry.

Now I am wondering what these red and blue switches do on the dash. Anybody have an idea?

Also, I have a significant antifreeze leak. Over the course of 150 miles I have lost about a half gallon of antifreeze. It is coming from the back of the engine near the bellhousing but I can't seem to pinpoint it. It doesn't look to be coming from the head area. It looks clean. Here are some vague pictures.

Any tips? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is an additional photo of the area. The hose in the top of the picture is the heater core. No leak there.

·
Super Moderator
24,471 Posts
Those two switches are aftermarket switches, put in by some previous owner. You may want to ask whoever you bought the car from what they're for, or else following the wiring from them to see what component they are attached to.
Regarding your leak, it appears from the location that you will have to get under the car and check. What is the condition of your oil on the dipstick? The location of your leak in your photo appears to be well to the rear of the engine, actually. Are you sure that your photo is of antifreeze and not tranny or differential oil??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply bex. Dipstick is perfectly clean, clear new oil on it. The leaking fluid is definitely green, and my radiator was low in the amount of fluid. I checked the radiator when I bought the car and the level was full. The Trans/dif fluid is a different color. Usually red for Trans and purple/brown for dif. This leak is 100% green fluid. Engine runs great. No overheating, hesitation, smoke in the exhaust, or loss of power. Passed stringent smog with flying colors.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Finding leaks over the internet is a bit tricky but you can start by looking under engine where you find fluid on the ground. Go from the lowest point up. Be sure to check under your water pump too.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Time for the light and mirror, my friend... No easy way..

.... Philip

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I use a cooling system pressure checker to help find coolant leaks. It allows you to check for leaks with a cold non-running motor. Looking at where the coolant is ending up, I'd be checking the heater hose connection at the rear of the head. (When was this hose last replaced? ...they DO have a life span.) Coolant from the back of the head could flow down the transmission and drip to the ground from the there.

If farther forward, there are small diameter coolant lines running around and under the intake for heating some of the intake parts. These connect to a steel pipe at the rear of the water pump... back behind the alternator.

Placing a large sheet of cardboard under a leaky car can help figure out the location of drips, but not always the actual leak.

I haven't a clue about the two switches, but I did notice the aftermarket CC switches, and the defrost switch... something not normally seen on a removable hard top. You have some interesting modifications.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use a cooling system pressure checker to help find coolant leaks. It allows you to check for leaks with a cold non-running motor. Looking at where the coolant is ending up, I'd be checking the heater hose connection at the rear of the head. (When was this hose last replaced? ...they DO have a life span.) Coolant from the back of the head could flow down the transmission and drip to the ground from the there.
THANK YOU!!! I couldn't see any leaking from this area with a mirror or other device. I finally decided to pull it and inspect it. Sure enough there was a big area that was deteriorated. I ordered new OEM hoses today. Can't wait to get this fixed.

I also am going to do the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, and all filters. The last documented service of the timing belt and water pump was only 24,000 miles ago but that was 12 years ago.

Any tips on a way to figure out what those switches do? Just follow the wires? When I flip them I don't notice anything happening.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
If you dont have access to the prescribed pressure tester, install a flush "T" ($2-3.00) in the heater line, connect to house water supply, (cold engine, cap on), water will flow from any suspect connection....

.......Philip

·
Super Moderator
24,471 Posts
I also am going to do the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, and all filters. The last documented service of the timing belt and water pump was only 24,000 miles ago but that was 12 years ago.

Any tips on a way to figure out what those switches do? Just follow the wires? When I flip them I don't notice anything happening.
Instructions on the timing belt are on the forum - don't follow Haynes or Chiltons in order to do this.

Regarding your switches, no choice, I imagine, but to follow the wires. They could be for aftermarket things that the previous owner removed, as well. If you are still in touch with the previous owner, it might be easier just to ask him - working under the dash, and the spaghetti of wires that are under there, can be a bit of a nightmare.....Glad you found your leak!

·
Registered
200 Posts
THANK YOU!!! I couldn't see any leaking from this area with a mirror or other device. I finally decided to pull it and inspect it. Sure enough there was a big area that was deteriorated. I ordered new OEM hoses today. Can't wait to get this fixed.

Just wondering, did you buy your tracker about 2 weeks ago? 4k

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yep. The car was in Hesperia... I didn't pay 4K though.
It looked in great condition, he sent me a bunch of pics the first time he had it listed. Was all set to make my trip over there on a sat, but he had flooding. I really had my heart on a 96-98 to match the one I have in case something ever happens to one of them. I look at one tomorrow. GL with your tracker!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts