Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 SUZUKI GRAND VITARA 2.4L LIMITED 87,000
April 2019, I discovered my passenger side floor was wet with water, not antifreeze! I pulled back the carpet and found standing water.
I ran the vehicle with the AC on full blast and the doors open to allow the humidity in and that is when I saw the river flowing down from the HVAC climate box.

That foam gasket seen above is just that, FOAM! Not a good seal for water! BAD DESIGN SUZUKI!!!!!!!!!!
So I contacted my former Suzuki dealer and the parts department helped me, they sent me an email with exploded view of the HVAC system.
Turns out that they call this part "Packing"
They ordered me a new one for 11.00 and another 9.00 for shipping.
When the new one arrived, I noticed it was quite different than the original. The new one was made from a black rubber material, not that grey foam.

I purchased an online repair manual that gave me step by step instructions on how to remove the dash.
I had the AC discharged at a local repair shop for free because I was bringing it back to be recharged.
20.00 for the part, 20.00 for the online repair manual and the AC recharge was 60.00, so I did the job myself for 100 bucks.
Removing the dash and all the components took about 5 hours, I went slow as to not break or damage any of the dash parts.
Installed the new part and put it back together on the second day. Third day, I took it in for the AC recharge.

Here is a link for the part and they have an exploded image to identify it:

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
this is a known issue with the 3G suzukis, the usual cause is the drain hose becomes blocked with debris (outlet is up by the bell housing passenger side), then the hose comes off the outlet on the a/c or the gasket thru the firewall comes loose letting water into the car. The part you replaced can be done with everything in place, most people just coat it all with clear fish tank RTV and the problem goes away. No need to remove the dash, or the AC unit.

·
Registered
209 Posts
@2013GV you've mentioned that you have fixed both of your 3G's. Today I discovered my passenger side carpet was soaking wet with lots of water under the carped when I removed it. Blasted the aircon on cold and pretty quickly I could see water flowing from where the white plastic on the HVAC unit enters the firewall. How exactly did you go about fixing it without removing anything? Simply just seal with silicone in the space around the white plastic and the firewall? Did you remove the foam gasket first?

Also, when looking under the car with aircon on I can see water dripping from near the bell housing and not only from the drain hose. Is the drain pipe (rubber) dislocated further up? Do I need to do something about that or would sealing from inside the car be enough? See pictures.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
In my case, both hoses (both cars) had dislodged off the heater, I managed to get them back on using cursing, looong nose pliers (I have a set with 200 mm points) a couple of trim removal tools and patience. Once back on, I got fish tank (neutral cure) RTV on the join points with a popsicle stick. It's not easy, and it's a tight space

The carpet is better gotten out of the way as best you can and will take weeks to dry fully. The more air circling around it the better.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,899 Posts
Try removing most of the water with a wet vac.. Check the rear passenger foot well as well..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The carpet is out and drying. The rear was bone dry. I think this is something that has occured recently.

And how did you confirm that the hose had dislodged off the heater? Is it visibile from inside or outside of the car? I have yet to get it on ramps.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Visible inside, look for the dislodged pipe and sealing washer at lowest part of heater, its helpful having someone with small hands that can wriggle the pipe from underneath too

Check it's not blocked as well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I can't for the life of me see if there's a dislodged pipe. There's only a 5 mm gap between the lowest part of the heater (the white plastic in my first picture) and the firewall. I also can't see where the pipe enters the cabin when looking from underneath the car.

The carpet has almost completely dried out now and the space around where the leak is is also dry. I'm thinking that the next step will be to seal it with silicone. That will likely keep the water away from the front passenger footwell, but where will it end up? There's dripping from somewhere further up than the A/C drain pipe under the car, so I'm guessing that there indeed IS something loose near the heater. But I don't have the time to pull the dash or the money for somebody else to do it. I talked to Suzuki and they have never done the fix before..

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Would I be correct in saying if part 47 is in place it doesn't matter if the hose is on or not. Would it not just run over the transmission ?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Darrell, the picture of part 47 - is that from the engine compartment side? I think that my hose (part 46) has come free from part 47 as I can see water dripping from where the hose connects to part 47 AS WELL as from the end of the hose (part 46).

Also, when looking at the white box (lowest part of heater) from inside the car, it seems as if the wide end of part 47 should be connected to the heater box. It's exactly where the leak inside is, in the gap between what I would think is part 47 and the plastic heater box. If I were to seal this gap then the connection between the white box and part 47 would be sealed resulting in water dripping on the gearbox if the hose (part 46) isn't fitted. Don't suppose that would do too much harm to the gearbox. Although there must be a reason that Suzuki implemented the hose.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Having read the other active thread about this I see pretty much all my questions are covered in that thread. I have the hard plastic part 47 connected to a hose which drains under the car. I have a visible leak around the foam inside the vehicle. Also, it appears that the hose connected to part 47 has dislodged itself in the engine compartment side.

So I have two issues to deal with: 1) connect the hose in the engine compartment to the part 47 that protrudes through the firewall and 2) seal with silicone from inside the car to prevent "backwards" leaking where the white-heater-body-part connects to the black part 47.

It seems that I might be able to just remove the hose in the engine compartment and let the A/C drain through the little part 47 that protrudes (making it work like the elusive part without a connected hose that some versions of the 3G has). That'll leave it draining onto the gearbox and not directly to the ground via a hose. And it'll save me the trouble of connecting the hose to part 47. I have given it a go and it seems impossible. Also can't see how it's possible to get rid of part 47 and connect the hose directly to the heater unit. I would need a much larger diameter hose - and some good access to the heater unit requiring removal of the entire dash.

How does that sound?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Had the car on a hoist today. From there I could easily see the part 47 hard plastic drain nipple thing protruding above the gearbox. The hose was not loose. It sat fine on the nipple. I removed the hose and gave it a good blast with compressed air. Nothing jammed in there. I also threaded a piece of wire through the nipple, also nothing was clogged there.

Therefore I concluded that the leak must be in the connection between the white heater inside the car and where it connects to the part 47. Access to the place that needed sealant was very restricted. I could only access it from passenger side (LHD car). No way I could access it from the other side. I could see it, but not reach it by any means. So I ended up using half a container of some marine sealant with good adhesive properties. I could jam a lot of sealant in from the right side and on top of the white thingy until it started "spilling" to the other side. I then used my fingers to get it all as well packed as possible. I could only see about half of where I applied it, but I am fairly confident that it has gotten to all the right places. It made a terrible mess. Now I will let it dry for a couple of days and we'll see if it did the trick!

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
That's why I used a popsicle stick.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well, maybe it's different in your RHD, but on my LHD there was no way I could get a popsicle stick in there. It's just so restricted. In fact, how you describe needing to use long pliers to get to the outlet under the car to fit the hose makes me think that there may be some differences in our cars. On the ramp I could easily reach the hose where it connects to part 47 without need for pliers.

Anyway, I used a lot of sikaflex so I'm going to give it another couple of days before I turn on A/C to test my fix to makes sure it's completely cured. I cleaned up the mess that I made while sealing before I put the carpet back. The sikaflex peels of VERY easily from the places I accidentally spilled some while doing the job. That makes me worry that it won't bond very well to the white plastic on the heater. I will report back in due time.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Pliers inside the car, outside you can reach it with your hand reasonably easily.
I came in to access mine from the left side (passengers side) here, tight, but enough room to get to things.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If the "white thingy" is pvc youll need special adhesive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts