Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here are the symptoms. I purchased the 1988 Samurai about 2 months ago as a project and a backup daily driver. I have been driving it every day for the past 2 weeks with no issues. So yesterday, on my way home, I start to get that weird feeling like I was loosing power, you know that feeling if you have been around cars for some time (this model has NO tachometer). It felt like a bungee cord was tied to the back bumper in all four gears. I also noticed that the temp gauge, which normally sits just half way, was about 3/4 up (out side temp was 98). so I pulled into my driveway and shut her down. This morning at 5:45 I jumped in her and headed to work and felt the same sluggish feeling, going through the gears. then I noticed the temp gauge rising faster than normal, and within 4 miles and 10 minutes the gauge was in the red, so I pulled over and opened the hood, when I did this I noticed it was idling higher than normal, so I shut her down. I then waited a few minutes and slowly opened the radiator cap and steam bellowed out. I waited a few more minutes and added 3 bottles of water that were rolling around the floor under the seat, which filled the radiator up. I waited another 10 minutes and started her up again. Once again I noticed the high idle. so I decided to limp back to the house, stopping and letting her cool down every time the temp gauge got to 3/4 high. Here is the weird part, on the last stop I added more water while she was cooling and fired her up. this time the temp stopped rising and the idle went back to normal.

Just as a note, the only thing I have done to her since I bought her was check the fluids. This past Saturday, I checked the radiator level and it was full when cold, but I added some water to the overflow tank.

I know things just don't cure themselves, so I want to find the issue and cure it before it happens again.

Please excuse any typos, I am typing this on my droid phone....

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
The first thing I would try is a new thermostat. It might have stuck closed and then finally broke free. Then see what happens before going into the other issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The first thing I would try is a new thermostat. It might have stuck closed and then finally broke free. Then see what happens before going into the other issues.
Thanks for the reply!!

Does the fluid flow from the radiator to the thermostat or from the engine to the thermostat? Since I live in Florida do I even need the thermostat?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts