Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suddenly it has started to get wet inside my car, and found out that after a heavy rain water came in front and rear on the top of the door frame.
The weatherstripping looks as good as the other side of the car, so was thinking I might just need to "adjust" the door inwards rather than buying new weatherstrips.
Anyone with same problem?

·
Super Moderator
13,716 Posts
The doors can be adjusted in/out by moving the striker in the door jamb - and it's usually done, not to get a leak proof closure, but to get the doors to visually align.

Search the forum, you'll find many reports of water soaked carpets I believe caused by clogged drains, so it might be an idea to confirm that your problem is a leak where you think it is before proceeding.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have the same problem with water puddles on rear left passenger floor. Looked everywhere on forum and almost every post contains comments about the A/C
I have no A/C.
I do have a puddle after a good rain storm and I now have no carpets or underlay to sop up this water. So any suggestions would be helpful. Searched for rain on floor and all I seem to get is the A/C tube dripping comments.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
If you haven't proved its the door rubbers it might be worth checking the radio aerial on the roof, they can leak and water runs across the headlining and down the pillar and soaks the rear floor carpet.
Another option is to tape around the door before the next rain to actually prove its that door rubber thats leaking.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thank you ,I have some duct tape to try that with. Both front floors are dry . I will assume silicone for the antenna mount?

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Thank you ,I have some duct tape to try that with. Both front floors are dry . I will assume silicone for the antenna mount?
Yeah, neutral cure clear rtv (fish tank stuff) as the acid cure stuff will damage the paint. If it smells like vinegar its acid cure,

To seal it if its leaking, and to check, remove rear light and the 2 plastic push pins, and pull the rear door rubber off the hood lining. That will allow you to lower the hood lining enough to get a 10mm spanner in there to the hold down bolt. If its been leaking you should be able to see water staining in the hood lining

·
Super Moderator
13,716 Posts
I have the same problem with water puddles on rear left passenger floor. Looked everywhere on forum and almost every post contains comments about the A/C
I have no A/C.
I do have a puddle after a good rain storm and I now have no carpets or underlay to sop up this water. So any suggestions would be helpful. Searched for rain on floor and all I seem to get is the A/C tube dripping comments.
Perhaps we should start by clarifying what vehicle you're driving - your signature says it's a SideKick Sport, which is a first generation model, but you're in a discussion in the third gen forum about a leak in a third gen Grand Vitara - different models have different problems - third gens have the antenna mounted in the rear roof and these are known to leak, first gens have the antennas in a different location, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone complain about this style leaking.

I also want to point out that my comment on drains never mentioned a/c - again different models have different problems - clogged cowl drains can lead to water leaking into the passenger compartment, I don't know how common it is on your generation of vehicle - last but not least - water puddling in the rear passenger floor does not mean the leak is in the rear passenger area - I've had water spilt in the trunk area of my second gen and seen it run all the way to the front passenger floor.

I suggest you get in the vehicle and have someone hose it down with a good strong stream of water - or maybe find a drive through car wash - you'll probably find out where the leak is quicker & easier than searching the forums.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hmmmmn I did not notice the forum name just assumed the issue that I was looking for was being addressed. I will look at the forum title next time I search my particular Sport problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heres 2 photos of my rear door LHS, with the water running passed the rubberseal, as I see it.. I did try to adjust the striker, but it didn't seem to be possible at all.. is it door side or frame side?
As you can see on the picture water has been damaging the upper part of door thats why I had to sand it down and paint with rust stopper..

·
Registered
787 Posts
Just a thought....perhaps the door is bent. The metal frame around the window is relatively weak and susceptible to misalignment if anyone has ever pulled it away from the body while the door is closed. Locksmiths do this when fishing a rod through the space between the window frame and the body when opening a locked vehicle. Not bent enough to stop the window rolling up and down but enough for a leak.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
That door seal looks deformed in the corners. Ill get mine out later and get pics of my seals for you

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a thought....perhaps the door is bent. The metal frame around the window is relatively weak and susceptible to misalignment if anyone has ever pulled it away from the body while the door is closed. Locksmiths do this when fishing a rod through the space between the window frame and the body when opening a locked vehicle. Not bent enough to stop the window rolling up and down but enough for a leak.
Thats been a thought of mine as well.

Been told to try to 'bend' it inward a little.
Problem is that there's the small window to look out for, afraid it will break

·
Registered
140 Posts
That looks similar to my problem, i literally had to clean the seal and door up really well then use a sealant to glue the seal to the door.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts