Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am pretty sure my water pump is shot on my car. I hear a small whining noise coming from it but upon inspection, I slipped back timing gear cover and saw the front timing gear spinning but it almost looked like it was out of round. First of all is it normal to hear a small whine coming from timing belt area and secondly is it normal for this gear to be spinning in such a fashion? I guess I should mention this is a 2004 Forenza.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi. sometimes when belts get old and dry out they can get a whine or squeal. what makes you think that your water pump is gone? is your car overheating or running hotter than normal? have you kept up with changing your belts on time? how do they look? good shape or cracked and dry?
the timing gear. it should be round not oval. until you can actually see the timing gear i would just think it was the angle you were looking at it from. your going to have to remove the timing cover to get a good look at the gears if your worried about it. let us know. anything else just ask

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi. sometimes when belts get old and dry out they can get a whine or squeal. what makes you think that your water pump is gone? is your car overheating or running hotter than normal? have you kept up with changing your belts on time? how do they look? good shape or cracked and dry?
the timing gear. it should be round not oval. until you can actually see the timing gear i would just think it was the angle you were looking at it from. your going to have to remove the timing cover to get a good look at the gears if your worried about it. let us know. anything else just ask
Well yes it does over heat but im not 100% sure if it's the water pump or thermostat sticking partially closed. I really don't hear any noises that would make me think that it is indeed the pump. All my hoses are getting hot but as you know, if its sticking partially open of closed it will still heat them up. It doesn't always over heat either. If im driving down the hwy for an extended period of time doing 120 kmh after about 40-45 minutes it will overheat. If I only do 100 it wont. I guess I should also mention I see no water coming out the weep hole. Frustrating trying to figure this out!

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
you could try starting with the thermostat. i think its fairly inexpensive to buy one. its definitely easier to replace than the water pump lol. do you know if the fans are kicking on?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I was purging airfrom the system I did notice the fans turning on. As a matter of fact The thermostat for this model is over a hundred dollars and fifteen bucks just for the gasket and of course this is a dealership only part. However I was looking at Roackauto and I think it was approximately 50 for everything including shipping. I am now fairly confident that it is indeed the thermostat. Now, it seems to be stuck open as I am driving it won't reach normal operating trmperature. Usually it runs just a shade under half and now it bardly gets over a quarter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts