Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995.5 Sidekick, 5 speed manual, 1.6L 16v

Any ideas why my water pump schreechs only at 1400rpm, and only on a warm engine?

Stethoscopes everything while my wife held down the accelerator, and it is the only thing making that noise. Weep holes aren't weeping coolent. All other rpm values are silent, as far as I can hear. Belts are tensioned the way the should be, and no pulleys are wobbling.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
Remove belt and rotate WP by hand, bearing noise is not indicated by any leakage... rough rotation means a pump replacement...

Keep the keys in your pocket during this diagnosis and your wife out of the car!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The Timing belt idler pulley is VERY close to the water pump. Maybe?

·
Super Moderator
12,193 Posts
That's a very good point - isn't the timing belt tensioner pulley actually mounted on the pump?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the tensioner sets right on top of the water pump. Good thinking. I'll take look at removing the belt later today and take a feel of the water pump bearings.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After popping off the belt, I put my sethascope on the water pump housing and turned the fan. I could hear the bearing moving and a lot of sloshing of the empleler, but I couldn't hear any grinding or anything that I would associate with a bad bearing. Kinda like spinning a wheel on a roller skate but smoother. There was just a tiny bit of play in the pulley.

I'll order a new timing belt and idler. Should I also just be safe and replace the water pump while I'm in there?

Also, my Sidekick has AC. How do you remove a radiator with refrigerant pipes going to it? Any way to do it without have to vccume pump out the coolant?

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
There was plenty of room in my 94 8 valve to replace the pump and rr the belt and components without removing the radiator.

Don

^_^

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Yes, pumps are inexpensive and easy to get to while your there.

Don

^_^

·
Super Moderator
23,684 Posts
If you’re doing the timing belt along with all of this, you have to remove the radiator. You need to discharge and disconnect the A/C system, etc., in order to get the radiator out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This might sound silly, but how in the heck do you get the lower radiator hose off? I guess there is some clips that need a special tool to undo. I got one of them off, but trying to get the hose off of the tube that leads up to the outtake of the engine, I couldn't make it budge.

Do they cut these off and use a new hose every time?

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
The hose sticks to the hose bib, you may have to use a pick to break the bond.. I have used shop air to release the hose..

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
vaseline or silicone grease when you re fit it helps next time, light smear on the bib.
they can be a real sod to get off, you may end up cutting and replacing the hose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts