Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Suzuki XL-7. Ok my question is does anyone know the diameter of the alternator pullt. I recently replaced mine however it was at night and I believe the belt was actually inbetween the pulleys on the main crank. Long story short I am now trying to replace the.shreaded belt and it seems to short. I cross redeem ed the part number been back and forth with the parts store yes I did measure the new belt everything seems right. Only thing I can think of is the replacement alternator has the wrong size pulley.

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
That's a tough one. Even if you determine that the new pulley is of a different diameter, you don't want to change out the alternator (again) for hopefully the correct size once more. :huh:

I'd opt to get a belt that FITS your current assembly. You could take a length of rop or twine, run it through the pulley system and then measure the distance of the rope. That would get you REAL close to the length needed. Then with an understanding parts counter guy, you could thread the new belt and test for size. IF needed, then go up or down a 1/2" until you nail the correct one. That's my thought anyways.

Welcome aboard too! :)

OR...using the belt you have now as a baseline, guesstimate the increased length need and experiment with the next size UP options.

This is what SHOULD be on there...
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1375129,parttype,8900

2.5 V-6, correct?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Max after working for a Mack truck dealership for the past 7 yrs kinda forgot about the easy way of doing things. i.e the rope method. Well after a 6 mile hike to the auto parks store and home home the right belt in case anyone is wondering it is a 370K4 PART NUMBER

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
Glad that you got it figured out! There are (for some reason) several diff size belts, like offered by RockAuto. There ARE a couple of 37" ones in their mix, FWIW. 370K4 PART NUMBER

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.