Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I remove the water pump on my 2000 Suzuki Esteem 1.8l i took all the water pump bolts off and it wont budge. I put a pry bar on it still wont budge. Do i have to remove the timing cover to get it off.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have the 2002 1.8 engine, heh, yeah it was fun to get off.

After an enormous amount of work I finally had all of the bolts off of mine too and just expected to have to hit it with a board and it would break loose and fall off but nooooo.....

What I ended up finding out is that the water pump has dowel pins holding from the back flange and the side flange that those two really long bolts go through pretty much locking it in place.

What you will have to do is get a really long thin board and a big hammer and just keep beating on it until it finally breaks the dowel pins out of the holes and then it will come off.

But even after mine was loose there was not enough room to get it out and I had to raise the engine up six inches to get it out of there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Man, I think they do stuff like that on purpose so you have to bring the car into a shop. Like in the manual, it won't tell you the amount of transmission fluid the car takes because you should, and I quote, "trust your Suzuki mechanic to complete this service for you". What irony.

I did, once, have a car which had a history of killing water pumps. The good news was you popped off the serpentine belt and unbolted the water pump, and you could take it off. That car was an '88 Cavalier Z-24. Turns out I got the right year, because the next year they changed the engine and you had to turn the engine to get the water pump off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts