Suzuki Forums banner

Water on floor of GV.

5K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  OldManLlama 
#1 ·
I recently took a trip from Pa. to Fl. My 2012 GV ran flawlessly. The only issue was a puddle of water on the rear passenger side which appeared to be clean water possibly condensate as I ran the AC almost constantly for 9 days. By the time we got home the puddle had emigrated to the front of the same side. The carpeting was drenched but easily cleaned up. How would that much water get inside the vehicle?

#2 ·
It's most likely the aircon drain issue. There's a couple of threads on how to fix in right here in the forum. I tried various methods until finally fixing it for good by removing the dash and elimate the adapter between the drain outlet and the drain hose.

#3 ·
Thank you, Martin. My concern is twofold: The water started in the backseat area so I just checked the drain hose for AC.
It is in the correct location and dripping on the garage floor as it always has. Also this vehicle has been leaking for some time because of the rust under the carpeting. I am toying with the idea of selling it but it runs so well I hate to do it. Is it possible that rear wheel splash is the cause as both sides appear to have rust on the outside of the floorpan. No matter what I will have to replace the carpeting as the sponge mat underneath has sucked up the water like a vacuum cleaner.
Any other thoughts?
Thank again,
Dave B.

#6 ·
Thanks 20. I ran a wire up the door drains and they seem clear. When I pulled the trim off the top of the rocker panels, it was soaked under them and the front one actually had splash on the underside. The wire looms are perilously close to water. I have blotted up most of it but the rust concerns me. this problem obviously has been going on for a while. Gettin' kinda worried.
Dave B.

#5 ·
Check under the luggage area carpeting - I've had water leaking in on my third gen, I suspect through the radio antenna opening because it pools in the lens of the roof light at the back - if there's enough it may also possibly run forward into the rear seat floor area - in my experience, it doesn't take a lot of water to flow everywhere under the carpet.

I would also question the need to replace the carpet - remove the seats & trim, remove the carpet and hang it out in the sun to dry - I've actually removed the carpet from multiple vehicles, hung it on the fence and hosed it down, the crap that comes out is almost unbelievable. There is a fair bit of work involved, but no more than one be required to remove & replace the carpet with a new one.

#7 ·
Thanks Fordem. I checked the roof light and it was dry. Also tumbled the rear seats forward and checked for moisture. All dry including the luggage area. I pulled the little cover off the Luggage floor and it was dry as well. I guess I will get into the dash to look at the AC drain. It seems to be working but I am out of options.
Thanks,
Dave B.

#8 ·
My AC drained onto the ground at the same time it soaked the passenger side. I think you should have a good look under the dash where the drain goes through the firewall. Just because you can see water dripping under the car doesn't mean there's not a problem inside the car.

#9 ·
Martin,
You were correct. The sponge rubber "seal" at the firewall was just that: A sponge. Since I did not have everything out of the way to replace it I cleaned the old rubber out with long screwdriver and pliers. Dried it and packed it with silicone bathroom sealer which is supposed to be waterproof. Wish me luck.
P.S. I got under the car and blew air (mouth) back through the system. It was clear.
Thanks again,
Dave B.

#11 ·
Thanks Martin. So far , so good. I have another issue that concerns me. My 2012 GV suddenly displayed the airbag symbol on the dash. I checked the A/B fuse under the dash and it is OK. The symbol stays on all the time. I checked both sides seatbelt lockups and they are fine. I even plugged in my OBD2 to see if a code would come up. No codes found.
Any suggestions?
Thanx,
Dave B.

#13 ·
You will definitely need a decent tool to read the SRS codes

#14 ·
OK I had my local repair shop use his OBD2 and no other codes than my unit. The only codes that show up are Engine and A/T codes. He also checked the fuse and connections under the seats. nothing unusual. My biggest concern is when I am sitting in the passenger seat and turn the ign to "on' the lower light reads "pass. airbag not activated" then shows the pass. seatbelt not on light. Of course the Airbag warning light is also on. What are these warnings telling me? Are some or all of my airbags not functioning?
Thank you,
Dave B.

#15 ·
OK I had my local repair shop use his OBD2 and no other codes than my unit. The only codes that show up are Engine and A/T codes.
All this means is that neither reader can communicate with the SRS controller. If the air bag light is on, the controller has sensed a fault, if the reader does not display it, the reader is not communicating with the controller.

#17 ·
It will depend on the severity of the fault, it could be just one airbag, it could be all of them. Find a decent diagnostic shop that can read SRS codes and find out exactly what's going on

#20 ·
There is a safety recall in the US for the passenger side cushion assembly to address a problem with the occupancy classification sensor. This only applies to the leather seat trim specification. If you have these seats, and have not had the recall repair done, that could be a place to start. Other things that come to mind are; if you happened to disconnect the passenger seat SRS harness with the battery connected that could set a hard fault code. Also, you mention water on the passenger side, it is unlikely but worth checking to see if there is water / corrosion damage to the pass side SRS wiring. This is all guesswork however, as already noted a scan tool that can read the BCM codes like a Suzuki SDT or an advanced aftermarket scan tool like an Autel 906BT or similar will be the way to really know what is going on

#21 ·
Thanks 80 but I have cloth seats. I still have not figured out why the passenger seatbelt lite stays on and the airbag Symbol stays on. The seatbelt works fine but I have to get to a shop that has an OBD2 that will pick up codes from the SLS system.
At this point my dash looks like a Christmas tree with the above lit up and my TPMS lite. Keep on truckin'
Dave B.

#22 ·
@DaveB1,
I know this is 4 months old, but I had a similar prob with my airbag and seatbelt light. 2006 GV 2.7 w cloth seats. Mine was a faulty passenger seat pressure mat sensor. I chose to purchase a device to plug into the harness that sends a proper code and turn off the lights.
The device tricks your car into thinking someone is always sitting in front, which means the airbag will always go off in an accident. The pressure sensor is to prevent the airbag from popping if there is a small child sitting up front. I don't let kids ride in front because of airbags in the first place, so this is not an issue for me, YMMV.
It worked really well, took 10 minutes to install and test, plug it in under the seat, cut two wires from the seatbelt and connect them, with included hardware, to the box and you are all set. Worth the money to me for an easy fix.
Discussion thread
Link to device: Suzuki US Vitara, Grand Vitara, SX4 seat occupancy sensor emulator

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.