Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have read all about the issue with rain water overflowing after entering the cowling area from windscreen and then not draining correctly. apparently it then back fills and comes in through the firewall.

hosed car down and could see a trickle coming in up high behind accelerator.

This is on the drivers side (right hand side) engine bay battery is on right hand side)

I removed cowling and it looked spotless, couldn't see a thing, Blasted it out with a hose and also cleaned out area on right side wheel arch base (removed mudguard and cover).

I then hosed the crap out of the cowling area and it drains very quick. pours out.

I can't tell if I fixed it (everything was good and by the time I finished) carpet is still damp and we are having nice weather in Ireland!

How do you clean out a blockage, I couldn't see how I would get at one even if it was present, or should I have been able to see something obvious?

Cheers,
Ros

·
Super Moderator
24,462 Posts
Did you see the water draining down the side of the cowl, so that it is running down the by the right wing of the car to the ground?? I think this is where it normally drains to. You should also check the bottom seal of the windscreen....and the windscreen itself for cracks along the bottom. After all, this is Ireland, and having your windscreen nailed by the chips on the road is anything but unusual. Ask me how I know...;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bex,

Screen is free from chips and cracks, the sealant could be old but the amount of water that comes in when I'm at work and it rains seems too much for that. This is a new "feature" have had the car for 1.5 years and it was bone dry until last month.

that is exactly how it drains, if water does not go down the centre rectangular holes beneath the cowling it travels to the sides and out the sides by the mirrors/wheel arch. it if goes into the holes it travels down and comes out the sides by the bottom of the door hinge area (base of front wheel arch).

the flow was good with the hose on it.

If there was a blockage what/where exactly am I to look and how would I unclog such a blockage?

Ros

·
Super Moderator
24,462 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bex,

I removed the wiper arms and plastic grill like cover (popped in and pulled out the plastic studs). Is that just considered a cowl cover, is there more to be removed?

after removing the plastic cover i was presented with a metal section with 2 large rectangular holes located towards the center of the windscreen. (holes are approx 20cm X 10cm)

I peered into these holes and flushed a ton of water into them also, couldn't see anything blocking.

·
Super Moderator
24,462 Posts
Yes, that is the cowl cover. Peering into those holes may not show anything, but reaming them out with a wire might. You may also have two small holes on each side of the cowl, all the way over by the small metal piece on the upper wing that you can try to clear out as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi Bex,

I reckon you were right, I opened up the cowl again, flushed the bejasus out of it with a hose and jabbed blindly with a now useless clothes hanger. The carpet behind heat shield got a bit of a soaking but once dried all was well. It has dumped with rain many times since and not a drop coming inside cabin.

I may have found the culprit, a sycamore (maple related) tree outside my parents’ house I sometimes park under. It’s odd that there is not some mesh or coarse sponge under cowl that would filter bits of crap from falling in and clogging the water drain system. Was there one originally or was this an oversight? Not a major issue I don’t park under trees often seems odd compared to what I see on other cars.

Again thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
24,462 Posts
Ah, I think that psychologists call this 'closure' ( the follow up on both of your posts). ;)
No, there wasn't any type of screen that I know of, originally on the cowl to prevent leaves and debris from getting stuck in there. Sadly. I have a bit of a leak on the passenger side of my car as well - the seal around the windscreen, made worse by a rust issue in the A pillar, which will need to be sorted at some point. Glad you're nice and dry now, considering the winters we usually have....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts