Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there my 95 Sierra drips water right on my foot when its on the accelerator and it also leaks on to the shelf under the glove box.
After a bit of experimenting (spraying the hose at different places) it only happens when water is hitting the windscreen such as when its raining or going it through a water crossing. This happened to my other sierra (older 84 model) also. Is this a common problem and does anyone know best how to fix it?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mine does the same thing, you have to be a contortionist to drive in the rain.
I haven't fixed mine because it's only a summer rig now, but I always thought
it was leaking at the gasket where my windshield folds down.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Mine does the same thing, you have to be a contortionist to drive in the rain.
I haven't fixed mine because it's only a summer rig now, but I always thought
it was leaking at the gasket where my windshield folds down.
Common misconception.
The vent in the cowl has a drain that goes out through the firewall. The cabin gets fresh air from the same cowl vent. When the drain in the bottom of the cowl vent gets clogged up with leaves, dirt, pine needles, etc then the water has no place to go when it rains. It drains back into the cabin through the firewall. Check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The cowl is the sheet metal between the base of the windshield and the rear edge of the hood. The cowl vent is the slotted grate there in the middle.

Unfortunately the body doesn't come apart there, so there is no easy way to clean it out. The rubber drain is on the firewall. It comes straight out and curves down. Pick the bigger stuff out through the top and flush the rest through the drain. If you pinch the rubber drain you can get larger stuff through it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i pushed the gunk through with a hanger, then pulled the tube at the firewall off from inside the rig and pulled it out. I did this and kept pooring water into the cowl all cleaned out. This alleviated my leaky condition but unfortunately it still exists.

good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
i pushed the gunk through with a hanger, then pulled the tube at the firewall off from inside the rig and pulled it out. I did this and kept pooring water into the cowl all cleaned out. This alleviated my leaky condition but unfortunately it still exists.
I've sealed the grill/cowl the last time I had my rig repainted... while there are no more grills at the topside, I still get the leaks when it rains hard. It gets very annoying when while driving quietly in the rain, suddenly a cold drop hits your foot.:eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello,

at first i want to introduce myself

i am huub and live in the Netherlands and own a samurai.

But i have a problem that is the same as tolded here in this topic but my question is

is there a how to or pictures of how and were the rubber hoses are and what to do to solve the problem because i looked underneath the car but couldn`t find any hoses.

so please help because it is raining like hell here and have pulled the rubber pluges from the body to let the water running out of the car.

thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
You can use a very thin hose attached to a shop vacuum to get some stuff out.
Garden hose to wash the smaller detritus out through the drain.
In my country there is a gimmick used to advertize businesses where they print the name of the outfit on a large sheet of magnetic material.
One fell off a vehicle in my driveway and when the business was called they said they would pick it up...2 years later they had not done so...abandoned ?
After cleaning my Sami cowling again, it hit me when it is raining but not in use why not put the magnetic sign over the grill work. Worked so good that it now resides there all the time when off road so that leaves etc don't fall in.
It is shaped so that the hood/bonnet can be lifted without contacting it.
No more wet feet and far fewer cleanouts.
Works for me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sammies wind-shield seals(weather stripping) harden over time and the tend to leak, the only proper solution is to have the weather stripping redone by an auto glass installer. :mad:

The poor man (i.e me) run some urethane caulking around the edge of the weather stripping and the body panels...it ugly but it works. Do not use silicon caulk as it causes corrosion of the steel.:cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
i have the same problem i get water on both sided running down the firewall..
i have changed every seal on my sammy except the one under the winshiels frame to the tub/body...im going to try and clean out the vent area like stated above and covering the vent when it rains is not a bad idea too with a magnetic thin strip cut to the same size of the vent opening i have a ton of my favorite hockey teams old schedules for the fridge i can use...also i don't see how water would leak through the seal under the windshield because it has a small lip over it? is it at the corners where you guys are talking about? right around where the mirrors would be? I'm going to start with blown the vent out and a wire hanger tomorrow...also is the hose on the inside fire wall you guys are talking about in the engine compartment above the tranny? where a bouts is it? next to the charchoal canister etc..????????? don't want to spend an hour looking for something i have no idea what it looks like...thanks guys

·
Registered
131 Posts
sooo happy!! i finally took some time to figure out my leaking problem and FIXED IT!!.. first off i used a blow gun and my compressor to blow into the vent behind the hood..wow what a mess tons of dirt leaves and crap came out everywhere ..then i looked under the dash and opened up a vent on the heater core and blew out a bunch of leaves that were in the blower fan..this was so annoying i would hear it when i used my heater it sounded terrible...i blew out and vacuumed out as much as i could..then i looked under the driver side dash and poured some water through the vent and noticed that water came in through a black tube/box? so i realized that the whole hose that connects to this box goes through the firewall and it wasn't there..luckily i have a donor samurai at my work i went grabbed the hose off my "donor" sammy and luckily it was in good condition..i popped it on and connected it to the black box/tube under the dash..and I'm on happy dry dude..i poured water through the vent and not one drop inside on the floor!!! there was a ton or dirt,leaves and dirt clumps that i had to dig out with my finger before i connected the hose...it was worth the time to do this i can explain how happy i am that i fixed this problem..just thought id share

·
Registered
69 Posts
Glad that worked out for you. I have the same leaking problem, doesn't rain much around here but when it does the floor is wet just sitting outside in the rain. I am going to clean out the drain this weekend and hope that does it. Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
best thing to do is to have someone pour water from a bottle slowly through each side of the top cowl/vent while your looking under the dash..thats how i found i was missing my drain hose on the driver side.. if you look in the vent/cowl behind the hood theres a drain hole on each side in side the vent ..

·
Registered
69 Posts
best thing to do is to have someone pour water from a bottle slowly through each side of the top cowl/vent while your looking under the dash..thats how i found i was missing my drain hose on the driver side.. if you look in the vent/cowl behind the hood theres a drain hole on each side in side the vent ..
Great! I can't wait to do this on the weekend, I have Friday off so I will check it then. Thanks again!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I didn't realize that I was looking for two hoses until I started pouring water into the cowling and looking under the Sami. What a easy fix! I had one hose off the fitting that goes thru the firewall on the passenger side. Slipped it back on poured water down cowling, no more leaky! Thanks for the great info!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts