Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with the speedo on mt 2002 1.3 Wagon R.
Over the last few months it has intermittently decided not to work sometimes for an hour or so sometimes a day or so and then it suddenly starts working. During the periods it does not work the odometer continues to work as normal. I know there is a sensor somewhere near the gearbox but if it was faulty surely the odometer wouldn't work either.
I would appreciate any thoughts on what the problem might be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apparently this is a common problem with the Suzuki Wagon R+ 1.3 2002.

I've noticed that my speedometer doesn't always work either.
Fortunately, it doesn't happen often.

The precise symptoms that I have are:
  • From the moment you start driving, the speedometer doesn't work.
  • Sometimes, during the same ride, it suddenly starts working. This seems to only happen if you've come to a standstill, like when stopping at a red light. Then, when you continue driving, it suddenly starts working.
  • Sometimes the speedometer appears to work, but the indicated speed is too low (like 25% off).
  • When driving the car later that day, the speedometer usually works and doesn't have issues until the next day.
  • I'm not sure, but I seem to remember that this issue happens more often in cold weather, especially when driving the car for the first time that day.
The tachometer on the other hand works perfectly fine.
Since I live in the Netherlands (flat roads mostly), for me the tachometer is a pretty reliable speedometer whenever the speedometer has problems.

I hope someone can help determine the root cause of the problem? ;)
Hopefully the list of symptoms helps ring a bell somewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry I don't have a remedy. I have a similar prob. Yesteady my speedo, tacho, fuel gauge and temp stopped working. I checked all fuses but can't find one that's duff. Any ideas.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
bad ground or power supply to the dash module. Remove dash, clean plug contacts carefully (pencil eraser on the end of a pencil type works well) refit dash and see what happens

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the very same problem. No speedo tachograph or fuel and temp gauges. I removed the module from behind the wheel, 2 screws for the black trim and 4 screws for the unit, removed the plug (only one in there) cleaned it up a bit replaced it and now all working.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just sighted this post again today, I am still experiencing the same problem and the symptoms as described in my original post at the top of this thread are exactly as described above by Happy Suzuki. I have I think been able to identify the cause of this problem, I believe it is triggered by reversing, My routine when I arrive home is to reverse into my drive; quite frequently the next morning when I drive out of my drive the speedo does not work then sometimes (not always) I stop at a red light or a roundabout and then when I drive off it starts working. Sometimes it will read low and then when I stop next time it seems to jump or click around zero, then when I drive off it works properly till the next time. As stated exactly as Happy Suzuki details above. I have not had the dash out yet so I suppose that the next step - I am quite reluctant to replace the whole thing but may end up doing just that. Before proceeding further does anyone have any further thoughts on this? As an aside Wagon R owners my care to sight my recent post on a lighting issue which was a sharp learning curve for me.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Pull the cluster and clean the contacts on the plug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts