Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My scan tool (Delphi) tells me nothing (SRS is not included).
I could find a singel yellow - unplugged connector - secured to its place with yellow tape. Its placed in the pasanger foot area coming out from the midle dash board.
Only one brown wire is attached to this connector.
So I have found this following site - the problem is, it is not told where this connector I'm supposed to connect to ground - is located. I tried to connect the single brown wire I found i my car, to ground - but i got NO flashing SRS light for codes.
Suzuki Airbags

I have hard time to find any connection and wiring info for the Wagon R+.
Is there a friendly soul in here perhaps how can help me to find out, where to start looking for the problem?
By the way - the only connector I've found under the seats is one post-installed seat-heater-connecton.
Thank you!

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Can we have details : engine size and year.
I've got a couple of workshop manuals and I think it's only the earlier ones with an option to read codes without the Suzuki scan tool.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you - ever so much!!! (I have a question in the end of my reply)
First - I will start grounding the diagnostics connector I found earlier - again and to be sure it IS properly in contact with ground and see if there will be any codes.
The instructions says- the ones you sent me privatelly- to check wiring to the airbags (in step 2):

Step 1
Action:
1) Inspect service wire between diagnostic
switch terminal on air bag monitor
coupler (test contact I found in the passanger foot well) and body ground.
Is it securely connected between them by
service wire?

YES:
Go to step 2.

NO:
Properly connect and
ground diagnostic switch
terminal on air bag monitor
coupler to body ground by
service wire.

Step 2
Action:
1) Disconnect SDM connector from SDM.
2) Check for proper connection at “V” wire
terminal (Q06-8 terminal of SDM
connector).
3) If OK then check continuity between
terminals Q04-1 (the test connector) and Q06-8 (connection on airbag terminal).
Is there continuity?

YES:
- Substitute a known-good
SDM and recheck.

NO:
- Check “V” wire terminals.
If OK then “V” wire circuit
high resistance or open.

So- If I check resistance between terminal connector and the test connector - there should be high resistance or open circuit? It must mean when the connector itself is still connected in the airbag module??? I'm a bit confused by this last text: "If OK then “V” wire circuit high resistance or open."

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So - I have found a fault in my description.
SDM - is the airbag ECU (in the middle trim between the front seats)!!
So I shall measure resistance between test connector and the SDM/airbag ECU - NOT between tester and airbags themselves.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getting some result after making a proper ground wire for the purpose!
Codes: 32 och 61 are flashing.
Power source voltage - too low
Warning lamp circuit - Warning lamp failure

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just cannot seam to find the actual problem.
I'm still not convinced its the SDM itself. In that case - should I not get the fault code 71 - "Internal Fault SDM"?
Instead I get the codes:
61 - Warning lamp failier
32 - Voltage too low

I have swapped the pulbs (with parking brake light) - no change.
Unfortunately I did not have any new 1,0W (or if it was 1,1W pulbs). The 1,2W I had - did not light the SRS light at all.
I have also checked voltage between SDM - ground. There is battery voltage. OK.
Between Q03 and ground - battery voltage. OK.
Between airbag fuse and to stearing wheel connections (went on colors on the wires) - there is continuity.
From stearing wheel connection to instrument housing - continuity - all below 1 ohms.

I have opened the SDM itself and it looks good to my eyes. Pics below.
I have also dried it indoors.... in case it would have been dump.

What would you guys do in my situation? Buy a second hand SDM for 90-100 pounds? Check something else? What are the chanses it is something wrong with the instrument housing? Thinking of the fault code -61- worning lamp fault.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A huge step forward =)

Thanks to talking to Darrell and seeing a picture onthe net from somebody's service book (I beleave its a Indian forum) - where it was mentioned what this special tool "A-09932-76010" actually NEEDS TO BE PUT IN PLACE in the SDM connector before measuring resistance!!
If not - the results is faulty.
So- I took pictures:
How the SDM connector is consturcted.
My own little tool.
Results from my measuring for the pre tentioners. They are OK! Without shorting the right way-the measurements whent up and down anddid not stay still for a singel second! On both sides.
With the shorting bar inserted: fine steady results on 2,2 and 2,5 ohms!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem!

And with the shorting bar insterted: I got 30.5 ohms for the blue wire and ground! Next step is to find were the short is....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This time with pics :)
And when I open one of the front doors - I get 0 ohms reading....
Starting to hate this....
But still - have I understood this right: there should NOT be any continuity at all? Right? It should say OL on the display, right?
The manual says:
"If OK then check resistance between “Bl”
wire terminal of combination meter
connector and Q06-30 terminal of SDM
connector. (See figure below.)
Is there continuity?"
"YES - Measure voltage from Q06-30 terminal
of SDM connector to body ground with
ignition switch ON.
Is it 8 V or more?"
"YES - Repair short from “Bl”
wire circuit (between
combination meter and
SDM) to power circuit."

Only way to get that happen - OL/no continuity - is to disconnect the connector from the dash meter, the combination connector (G25). Then there will be no continuity between the Q06-30 terminal and ground.
But does it meen that the fault is in the cobination meter it self or just that I have desconnected it??

To really check for shorts in the wires - I have to remove the dash....
I have got rid of al the old electric tape - that was running of old glue and was really sticky- but I cannot see anything unusuall. If I wigle the wires - there is no change in the multimeter either.

Anybody who can help with some ideas? :huh: My brains have left me for long ago....

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I see you've managed to check the pre-tensioner and it's resistance is within spec. I assume code 46 is still showing though.
The problem with the blue wire is after the warning light bulb this b/w wire will feed lots of other circuits. This to me means you are potentially checking the bulb resistance and what ever other components to ground on this circuit.
Hope I'm right, confusing myself on this one ;).

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I assume by disconnecting the meter/gauges you are doing the equivalent of removing the bulb and therefore removing the other components on this circuit.
I would expect the gauges to be fine.
What actual codes and symptoms do you have at this stage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Same as from the beginning:
Airbag light elluminated after the initial checkup at starup/ignition on.
Fault codes:
45 - After fixing drivers side door contact for interior light (it had given in - the spring was in peaces, inside the door contact that is grounded when the door is closed, I beleave, putting in a pic on the part).

So both front, pre tentioners are now showing fault codes.
But no faults on them.

When one of the doors is open- and the interior light is on - the resistance is 0. Not OL though.
The contact number Q03- does not have exactly same colours asonyour diagram. There are five wires (yours has four)- with following colours:
Black
Blue (slightly different tone, but it seams to be in connection with the blue in SDM connection)
White
White red
Blue red

The single connection for fault codes reading (the one I have to ground to be able to read fault codes) is Violet. It does not run through the Q03 connection at all.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
It's that code 61 that worries me, with that on the other codes may not even really exist.

You've checked that out OK other than trying another SDM though.
I'm kind of out of ideas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Solved =)

Finally.

Somewhere on the line I must have done something to solve it all.
But the fault codes NEAD TO BE ERASED!

This is how its done:

The single conector in the passanger foot well - Airbag monitor Coupler Q04 - the one you need to ground to READ the flashing airbaglight for fault codes - the same couple/connector needs to bee used to CLEAR the codes as well:

Ignition on
Wait 6 sec (so the start procedure is finnished)
Ground the Q04 connector repeteadly 5 times - on and off - in 10 seconds.
1 sec shorted - 1 sec open -
1 sec short - 1 sec open -
1 sec short - 1 open -
1 sec short.
Done - hopefully ;)

I did do this couple of times - but the picture in the service manual (page 12) showes a picture of a five pin connector so I was not sure if it was for my car.... But I think this five pin connector (Q04) is located in later models. However, I did not manage to get rid of the fault codes when I tried this procedure before... but in the end I did! I have no idea what I did to clear the faults or IF I managed to do anything at all. Maby I should have just tried to clear the codes from the very beginning....who knows!

Pictures how it should have looked on the page for code clearence. Picture 001.
Alsofor the reading. Picture 002.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Finally.

Somewhere on the line I must have done something to solve it all.
But the fault codes NEAD TO BE ERASED!

This is how its done:

The single conector in the passanger foot well - Airbag monitor Coupler Q04 - the one you need to ground to READ the flashing airbaglight for fault codes - the same couple/connector needs to bee used to CLEAR the codes as well:

Ignition on
Wait 6 sec (so the start procedure is finnished)
Ground the Q04 connector repeteadly 5 times - on and off - in 10 seconds.
1 sec shorted - 1 sec open -
1 sec short - 1 open -
1 sec short.
Done - hopefully ;)

I did do this couple of times - but the picture in the service manual (page 12) showes a picture of a five pin connector so I was not sure if it was for my car.... But I think this five pin connector (Q04) is located in later models. However, I did not manage to get rid of the fault codes when I tried this procedure before... but in the end I did! I have no idea what I did to clear the faults or IF I managed to do anything at all. Maby I should have just tried to clear the codes from the very beginning....who knows!

Pictures how it should have looked on the page for code clearence. Picture 001.
Alsofor the reading. Picture 002.
Thanks for the update, glad you sorted it :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts