Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently given a 1993 vitara 1.6 8 valve. Needs a tidy up but the engine is a non runner at the moment. It turns over fine but wont spark, previous owner said it ran before it was parked about 6 months ago. Not sure how true that was as the 60 amp fuse in the engine bay was blown. I checked the coil for ohms and pole to pole im getting 1.5 and positive to ht output is 11.28. then followed back to distributor and the poles on the inside of the cap are pretty corroded. I tried cleaning them up with a fine sand paper and she still wont fire. When I turn the key I get no dash lights but the engine turns over fine, not 100% sure but I think it has a carb, it has the big factory fitted filter right on top. Does this vitara have an ecu?a carb or injected engine? or how would I find an immobilizer on it? Maybe this would stop the spark. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Have you checked the rest of the fuses to see if any are blown? I'm not positive on this vehicle (others here would know better), but I would think if you have no dash lights when starting, then something in the ignition system is not getting power, possibly the same part that runs the coil or distributor modules or ECM. If the 60A fuse was blown, other fuses may have blown too and hopefully that's it. I'd check each fuse in the fuse box and see what's up.

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
A 93 Vitara would most likely have been carbed - but if you have no dash lights (charge & oil pressure) you need to get that sorted because it suggests you have no ignition power, so that would mean no power to the fuel pump or ignition system.

If you PM the chassis number to me I'll see what I can track down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for reply tlctracker76, Ive been searching online today to get a layout of the fuse box on this model, but to no avail. I checked the owners manual and no diagram. The fuses under the steering are all good but I'm not sure if one is missing. When I turn the ignition key I get zero lights on the dash, not even an oil light. But I have power to turn the engine over, turn on lights, wipers etc. In the engine bay fuse box I have 3 fuses, I have the 60, 50 and 40 amp fuses but the 30 amp is empty. any help would be much appreciated

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
You may want to confirm if you are carb or EFI. If EFI, and the car cranks, but you have no dash lights, normally this is caused by a blown ignition coil fuse under the dash.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks fordem, I downloaded the service manual from Rhinomans site as you suggested and had a look at the fuse layout, and fuse 8 was missing - ig coil. She is now running but needs more work to get it going right. Will pick up new plugs and dizzy cap and rotor tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.