Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 1991 Suzuki Vitara JLX 4dr (Auto Transmission) G16B 16v EFI, and the Tachometer does not work, the car seems to run fine but the needle just stays at its lowest position. I have checked all the connectors around the Dizzy, Ignition Coil & Noise Suppressor & the connections seem to be good... I also removed the Instrument Cluster & checked all the connectors on the back of it.

Any idea's what the problem might be ?

Cheers...

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
The tach runs off the brown wire that goes to the noise suppressor - have you checked that wire? It also has its own ground (earth) wire, running from the tach to a connection just above the fuse box under the dash, through a number of splices. If your wiring to the noise suppressor is ok, you may want to try grounding out the tach wire manually to see if its a ground problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I measured the black & brown wire that is going to the tachometer on the instrument cluster & i am getting around 13v. Could the tachometer in the instrument cluster be faulty itself ?

cheers...

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
To thoroughly check this circuit, you need to pull the dash and check at the connector for the tach. On that connector, where the black wire goes into it (pin 8) you should backprobe that pin to a ground, checking for resistance. If you get more than 0.3 ohms, then you have a problem in that black wire between the instrument panel and where it grounds above the fuse panel under the dash. If you end up having less than 0.3 ohms, then you need to check at the ignition coil and noise suppressor, where you may have an open in the brown/white wire that runs between them, or an open in the brown wire that runs from the noise suppressor back to the instrument panel.

Sadly, I imagine you need to check the wiring to this circuit, unless, of course, that you can visually see that the needle in the tach is no longer attached, etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok,

So i measured the resistance between the Black wire (Pin 8) to ground & am getting 0 ohms.

Then i tested the resistance between the Ignition Coil & the Noise Suppressor (Brown/White cable) & i got 0 ohms.

I then tested the resistance between the brown wire (Pin 9) on the connector which goes into the Tacho on the Instrument panel, To the brown wire connected to the Noise Suppressor & am also getting 0 ohms...

And when i measure the voltage on the 12v wire (Pin 6) going into the tacho on the back of the Instrument panel to Ground i get 14v.

So it looks like there is no break in any of those wires.
But the Tacho still does not work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Also when i take the clear cover off the instrument panel & put my finger on the Tacho needle (while the engine is running) i can feel a ticking type of vibration as if the needle is trying to move.

I have a feeling the Tacho Unit in the instrument cluster is screwed...

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
Could be screwed up, certainly. Presumably with the engine off, and the glass off the instrument panel, you can (carefully and gently) move the needle on the tach, correct? The tach only works on the two wires that you have tested (and are you sure that you have your DVM set so that it can read 0.3 ohms, rather than just 0.0 ohms?). There are 3 wires that are involved in this circuit - the black/white (which is power, which also powers the fuel gauge and temp gauge - if these are working, then this connection is ok), the brown wire coming from the noise suppressor, and the black wire which is the ground. If the ECU is not getting a tach reading, then normally the car will not start - so, as your car is running, it would appear that this circuit may be ok, and that the problem is actually physically with the needle/unit itself.
A bit of reading here, but some of the links in the posts don't work:
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sidekick-escudo-vitara-geo-tracker/36463-bad-tachometer.html

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did something really stupid...
I wanted to take the Tacho unit out of the cluster to have a look at it,
and i removed all the needles off the front of the cluster, not knowing that they are calibrated... Is there any specific procedure to calibrate the needles when i put it back together ?

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
All the needles means everything??? Speedo, tach, etc? You most probably will need to go to a shop to get the speedo re-calibrated, as the gauges are calibrated at the factory. There is some info on the forum about doing this - perhaps not successfully as it is a bit complicated. Here are a couple of links:
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki...o-tracker/27043-speedometer-cable-lube-2.html
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki...cker/47424-want-add-tach-my-1993-tracker.html
Note that some of the links in the above won't work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All the needles means everything??? Speedo, tach, etc? You most probably will need to go to a shop to get the speedo re-calibrated, as the gauges are calibrated at the factory. There is some info on the forum about doing this - perhaps not successfully as it is a bit complicated. Here are a couple of links:
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki...o-tracker/27043-speedometer-cable-lube-2.html
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki...cker/47424-want-add-tach-my-1993-tracker.html
Note that some of the links in the above won't work.

Is it only the speedo that needs to be calibrated ?
Can i just plug the instrument cluster to the car, turn the accesories\ignition on & let the needles (fuel guage, temp guage, tacho) go up to where they go then bring them down to the lowest point.

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
This is not my area of expertise, but I believe that the rest of the needles you can just replace - of course, the question is - how much fuel is in your tank? I wouldn't be concerned about the temp gauge - you can just notice its 'new' position when the car is warmed up (mine has sat on 1/4 for years).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts