Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the front wheel bearing on my 2000 Vitara 2.0L 4x4. I have read about the required special tool to remove the wheel bearing lock nut and I know I can buy one on E-bay for a reasonable price. I noticed in the factory service manual that a hydraulic press is needed to press out the bearing (see attached images) and also a slide-hammer type tool to remove the hub if it is stuck. I'm not really prepared to buy a hydraulic press just for this job.

Has anyone done this job on their own? Is a hydraulic press essential or can it simply be hammered out with a block of wood or something like that?

What about the slide-hammer device...is there an alternative technique?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Yes you shall need a press, however most machine shops will do the pressing for you..

An alternative to the slide hammer is to reverse the disk, install nuts on first 3-4 treads and use the mass of the disk to drift the hub...

You will also need a Torque wrench to set the bearing preload...

...... Philip

·
Super Moderator
13,714 Posts
It might be worth your while to verify what style of hub your particular vehicle requires, some were fitted with hubs that did not have replaceable bearings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. Good idea with the brake rotor. I have a torque wrench and I checked the parts diagram in the Suzuki parts software with my VIN, so I should be okay there.

Trouble is I only have the one car, so I would need to bicycle to a mechanic or machine shop to get the bearings pressed out. Hopefully there's one close by that has it. Otherwise, I may just have to ante up the cash and have Suzuki do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts