Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just wondering if anyone has done the conversion before. If possible, can a non-american vitara owner post a couple pics of the rear housing / bracket steup. I know these assemblies have the correct cut-off light pattern for North American sidekicks. Interested in knowing more.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I've seen pictures of these for the Japanese market. If that is what this is, the light pattern is wrong for the North American market. It will blind oncoming traffic and will not light the side of the road with the signs and pedestrians. Not good. Beside that, they would not be legal.

For more information see: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/codes/codes.html
look under "Headlamp Suitability for Traffic Direction"

·
Super Moderator
13,748 Posts
First - if it's for the European market (as the OP is suggesting), the beam pattern will be correct, the Japanese market is RHD and their lamps will be incorrect.

More important - is it DOT approved - if not, it cannot be legally used in North America.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've been using Cibie E2 (France) rectangular headlights in my 93 MR2 Turbo for almost 20 years. They definitely aren't DOT approved, but the lighting with 60/55W bulbs is a tremendous improvement over the OEM 60/35W sealed headlights.

US lighting has improved over the past 20 years to the point that my original OEM lamps are probably considered to be obsolete. I've never been stopped or had oncoming drivers flash their lights due to the beam pattern.

If you use a European beam pattern headlight, you may notice an improvement. Just don't try to increase the bulb wattage because the stock wiring won't handle the increased current and any improvement will be minimal.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
First - if it's for the European market (as the OP is suggesting), the beam pattern will be correct, the Japanese market is RHD and their lamps will be incorrect.
We call it Europe as well but technically the UK and Ireland is in Europe too and we are also RHD.

·
Super Moderator
13,748 Posts
I'll bear that in mind Rhino - I'm well aware that UK is RHD, but in my mind the UK is well the UK, when I cross the channel, then I'm in Europe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The headlight assemblies are manufactured in Taiwan by Depo Auto Products. They are replacement items, available for both RHD and LHD Vitaras. They are not DOT compliant and are illegal in North America.

So, if anyone has attempted to install these on North American Sidekicks / Trackers, I would be interested in knowing more about the install and the support brackets mounted behind the assemblies (are they different?). Pictures would be greatly appreciated. Part numbers of the brackets would be awesome. That would help me in my google search.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Dne007 has ordered a set of these lights off ebay:
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki...61-painting-my-tracker-headlight-options.html

I haven't heard about what she received. I would expect them to bolt in once the old lights and brackets are removed. It might be "fun" to get the wiring to connect... depending on if the lights come with the required plugs or not.

I am more concerned with the suitability of the lights over how legal they are. Being "DOT" approved (ie: legal... in the US) isn't as big a thing as it used to be. There are way more types of lights being used on the roads these days. With even more odd-ball designed lights popping up every day. (A good thing.... mostly.) It is asking way to much for the average law-man to have a clue on what lights are dot approved without stopping and inspecting the markings on the lights themselves. As long as the light pattern isn't blinding oncoming traffic, I doubt anyone will even notice. I'm not saying that if they are LOOKING for a reason to charge you with something they wouldn't notice.... but, if that is the case, they'll find a reason no matter what. (Son, your tail light (smash) is broken!)

Anyway, The link to "Daniel Stern Lighting" that I supplied above, is titled "Lens Markings Decoded" and allows you to read the markings on the lights to ensure they are for the correct "Suitability for Traffic Direction." Look and read if you are interested.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the link Mike. I think these assemblies look much better than the USA assemblies. The wiring will be fairly simple. They use a H4 bulb instead of the 9004, so a connector change or adapter is necessary. The turn signal is the same 1157, i believe.

You're right about suitability vs. legality. There are a TON of Ram 1500 trucks in our area and the headlights can be blinding at night for numerous reasons, usually lifted trucks. DOT compliant? Yes. Suitable? Not for drivers around them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts