Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a 2000 1.6 Vitara 4u2 with only 56k, problem is it wont start. The engine management light flashes with the ignition on and when turning over. She starts on easy start but wont run, looked down throttle and there is no fuel (plenty of fuel out of the return though). Did a google and this all points to ECU damaged so i swapped for a known to be working one but i get exactly the same symptoms. I did try plugging diagnostics into the car today but it wont talk to the ECU and i have also noticed that the (aftermarket) radio wont store presets. Looses it all when the ignition is turned off.

Does anyone know where else to look? Thought of crank sensor but there isn't one. Would the cam sensor stop fueling?

·
Super Moderator
24,222 Posts
Hopefully Rhino will chime in here (or PM him) as he is familiary with the UK cars. Off the top of my head, I say....you have an immobiliser which will cause the car to crank and not start - I believe the immobiliser 'speaks' to the ECU, and if they get out of sync, you need to have the immobiliser reprogrammed. There have been a few posts on this issue on the forum, if you search for it.
Normally, the check engine light should be on with the key on, and then off when you are cranking. Here is Rhino's site, which also gives you an idea of how to get codes, etc:
Check Engine Light
I think that you should be able to pull a code - most probably for the immobiliser, sadly.....
Just so you see you're not alone:
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sidekick-escudo-vitara-geo-tracker/50583-immobiliser-problem.html
And quite a few more, if you search the forum....:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. Couldn't find a blown fuse. Did think it may just be the immobiliser. Does it just need reprogramming? If so i have a friend who is an auto electrician so could see if he can do it for me.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
If the CEL is flashing at key on then its an immobiliser problem. The radio fuse and immo backup supply are on the same fuse so I would suspect that you have an issue there. You can't swap the ECU without matching it to the immo.
Usually the issue is corrupted memory in the immo, sometimes it gets messed up if there is no backup supply, usually its because of a badly executed jump start. The ECU and immo will require the memory chips removed and reprogrammed to resync the ECU. I've repaired dozens of these, on my own 4u2 I've reprogrammed the ECU to disable the immo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The previous owner tried to jump start the car as it had been standing for a couple of years. I couldn't find a fuse for the immobiliser. Where is it supposed to be? I have looked in the fuse box under the dash (drivers side) and there are four square ones under the bonnet near the battery. they are all fine.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I can't remember what the fuse is marked as, its the same fuse as the interior light, it should be in the box under the dash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks. Il check in the morning and if not il phone my mate and see if he can have a look. If im still out of luck, what do you charge to sort it out if i send it to you?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
PM sent.
James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts