Suzuki Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
My midlife crisis. I bought a Daihatsu Copen last year and sorted it completely but the MX-5 is a much more sorted car, particularly with the folding hardtop.

Which Vitara are you running ?
We're just running a standard 2wd SZ-T 1.6 petrol. The Wife wanted a turquoise blue colour and so I found her one, luckily at one of the four local Suzuki dealerships we have near us, all within 20 miles of where we live, so servicing etc, no issue. The car had only ever been owned by Suzuki and when we picked it up, had just 4700 miles on it. It was also a really good price after some rather skilful negotiation on my part. It has now done just over 6k and we're very happy with it. We've had a brake light bulb blow and a fuse blow which caused the rear lights and number plate lights to stop working , but since replacement, we've had no further issues. I bought a diagnostic code reader and plugged it into the OBD2 port, no errors or stored codes. If there had been, it would have been straight back to the dealership.

I'm going to have one of the wheels off this weekend just to mount the space saver to make sure it sits ok on the hub. I'm not going to drive it anywhere! It will also give me the opportunity to check the disc retaining bolts. These usually are made of cheese and the heads have a habit of sheering off when you come to change the discs. I usually swap them out for stainless steel allen key head bolt screws to prevent any seizing issues come disc and pad changes which I always do myself. I've just bought a brand new pair of genuine Suzuki front discs off the famous auction site, from a dealer selling off stock, £35 for the pair. I don't need them, they will just sit in my garage until the time comes for me to change them.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
We're just running a standard 2wd SZ-T 1.6 petrol. The Wife wanted a turquoise blue colour and so I found her one, luckily at one of the four local Suzuki dealerships we have near us, all within 20 miles of where we live, so servicing etc, no issue. The car had only ever been owned by Suzuki and when we picked it up, had just 4700 miles on it. It was also a really good price after some rather skilful negotiation on my part. It has now done just over 6k and we're very happy with it. We've had a brake light bulb blow and a fuse blow which caused the rear lights and number plate lights to stop working , but since replacement, we've had no further issues. I bought a diagnostic code reader and plugged it into the OBD2 port, no errors or stored codes. If there had been, it would have been straight back to the dealership.

I'm going to have one of the wheels off this weekend just to mount the space saver to make sure it sits ok on the hub. I'm not going to drive it anywhere! It will also give me the opportunity to check the disc retaining bolts. These usually are made of cheese and the heads have a habit of sheering off when you come to change the discs. I usually swap them out for stainless steel allen key head bolt screws to prevent any seizing issues come disc and pad changes which I always do myself. I've just bought a brand new pair of genuine Suzuki front discs off the famous auction site, from a dealer selling off stock, £35 for the pair. I don't need them, they will just sit in my garage until the time comes for me to change them.
what disc retaining bolts? these models are held on by the wheel nuts. Suzuki haven't used retaining screws for disks for years. If yours has them i will be surprised.

First pad change will need disks, the factory have decided the pads shall wear at the same rate as the discs....My 2013 has done that, and the 2015 is going the same way, discs are already 1/2 way to the wear limit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
what disc retaining bolts? these models are held on by the wheel nuts. Suzuki haven't used retaining screws for disks for years. If yours has them i will be surprised.

First pad change will need disks, the factory have decided the pads shall wear at the same rate as the discs....My 2013 has done that, and the 2015 is going the same way, discs are already 1/2 way to the wear limit.
To be fair, I won't know until I get a wheel off tomorrow whether or not the Hungarian built UK spec models have disc retaining bolts, so we'll just have to wait and see. I know from experience though, that you can have models of the same vehicle made in different factories around the world that look identical but aren't necessarily all they appear. The Hyundai i10 for instance that we chopped in for the Vitara, we drove an identical model to our own, a hire car, in South Africa for 9 days and that car was made in India whereas our own car was made in Turkey. Although both right hand drive vehicles, the indicator stalks were on the opposite side on the South African car and it was a right royal pain in the behind I can tell you! I kept putting the bloody wipers on instead of the indicators!

To be honest, I'll be quite happy if there aren't disc retaining screws on our Vit, it's a couple of quid saved in my pocket.

I must now however look out for a set of disc pads to complement the new spare discs. I won't be buying the genuine Suzuki pads, the cheapest I've seen those for, is GBP90, and that is a serious wad of cash for brake pads! There's plenty of decent aftermarket pads out there for less than half that price.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
for some reason EU spec vehicles have the indicators on the left, wipers on the right, rest of the world is sensible. Obviously the EU designed this for the "spirited" drivers that use the right hand to gesticulate out the window while still being able to steer and indicate in a RHD car.:lol:

Maybe this explains a lot about MkIV Cortina drivers? hehehe

spare pad here $45 front set, $38 rear, genuine $130 each end.

·
Registered
119 Posts
As I had the front nearside wheel off today, I mounted the space saver just to make sure it fitted ok. It does, so no issues there.

I'll say it again though, for those like me who are carrying a skinny space saver, ensure it is inflated to 60psi before use. When I picked mine up, it only had 40psi in it. In any case it should be checked at least monthly.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Cheers Frupi, good to know about the space saver. I’ve just chucked it in the boot of the X5 for storage until the Vitara arrives, but I’ll try and remember to check the pressure before I fit it in the Suzuki.

After that, there’s no chance I’ll remember to check it but that’s what the recovery people get paid to do. It’s not that I can’t change a wheel (I’m 60 so learnt to drive in the days when we had to be hands on), it’s just that I’d rather not be in the rain at the side of the motorway with all the other numpties barrelling down on me.

I once had a flat in a Discovery 4 in the Lakes and called assistance. He made it from somewhere like Preston in an hour and five minutes. Spare was already out, wheel nuts loosened, all good to go. But if LR think anyone is going to lift 2.5 tonnes on a side stick jack, they are very sadly mistaken. Recovery guy loved it as it was Friday afternoon and closer to home so 2 hours to change a wheel including travel time and his earliest finish for months.

·
Registered
282 Posts
for some reason EU spec vehicles have the indicators on the left, wipers on the right, rest of the world is sensible. Obviously the EU designed this for the "spirited" drivers that use the right hand to gesticulate out the window while still being able to steer and indicate in a RHD car
I drive a Mazda MPS in New Zealand and I’m sure that had the stalks the proper way around. My last hire car in the States was the same.

Managed to piss off a Kiwi traffic cop when he pulled me for speeding and then complained at the length of a UK driving licence number. Well, I was in Gore and I don’t think you’d got past number 37 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2019 Vitara SZT with rear sensors
18 Posts
hi, sorry if this is covered elsewhere. Does a full sized spare tyre fit into the space in the boot, or is it only a space saver that will fit?

·
Registered
282 Posts
The circumference of the space saver is the same as a full size alloy (when they’ve both got the proper tyres fitted) but the depth will be different so a full size may lift the boot floor cover slightly. However, if your tyres are directional, you’ll need 2 spares and that definitely wont fit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Many thanks. I had to look up directional, and I am sure these aren't - cannot believe how much garages charge for the space savers.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
directional tyres have a "rotation" and an arrow cast into the side wall.

Space savers should be peanuts from a wreckers, unused ones are about $40 here

·
Registered
282 Posts
Many thanks. I had to look up directional, and I am sure these aren't - cannot believe how much garages charge for the space savers.
Looks like the price of the space saver kit has gone up since most of us got ours from the Suzuki eBay store.

Which way have you decided to go ? Don’t forget that if you go for full size alloy, and the tyres work out, you need to factor in a jack, wheel brace, and bolt to secure it to the wheel well in the boot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am going to go with normal space saver. The Wheel shop are well priced. They do not have stock at the mo, but I will get from there once they do.

the car arrived today.. it is stunning - it is the ice greyish blue with the black pearl roof..

·
Registered
282 Posts
What spec ? Maybe a post in the intro section rather than this thread but looking forward to seeing it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2 different sites I have been on, selling the space saver at a good price with kit, are saying this is assuming the car came with the jack handle, wheel brace or tow hook, these come in the car from factory. I have emailed my dealer as I don't seem to have these.

·
Registered
282 Posts
2 different sites I have been on, selling the space saver at a good price with kit, are saying this is assuming the car came with the jack handle, wheel brace or tow hook, these come in the car from factory. I have emailed my dealer as I don't seem to have these.
I’m not sure about the tow hook but the jack isn’t included because you don’t have a spare wheel. It’s part of the OEM space saver kit.

I assume you had the sealant etc in a foam insert ? That’s where the brace and tow hook are likely to be found.

·
Registered
18 Posts
thank you. I do have the sealant and foam. I will go and look. ah the dealer just replied to say i wouldn't have those either.

just the repair kit. I think I might have to buy from Suzuki....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Happened to be in the shed last night where I’ve left the old repair kit stuff and the carrier has a space for the tow hook and wheel brace so I’m guessing that I transferred these to the boot when I bought the space saver. Unfortunately, I can’t open the boot while the car‘s in the garage to check but if I remember next time I’m out in it I’ll have a look.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts